Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Google's self driving car lets a blind man get around

editor

hiraethified
Pretty impressive stuff and a glimpse of how technology may benefit people.

We announced our self-driving car project in 2010 to make driving safer, more enjoyable, and more efficient. Having safely completed over 200,000 miles of computer-led driving, we wanted to share one of our favorite moments. Here's Steve, who joined us for a special drive on a carefully programmed route to experience being behind the wheel in a whole new way. We organized this test as a technical experiment, but we think it's also a promising look at what autonomous technology may one day deliver if rigorous technology and safety standards can be met.

http://gizmodo.com/5897229/this-car-is-being-driven-by-a-blind-man

Roll on driver-less cars for everyone. There's the potential to save a great deal of time and money there too: far less traffic jams, no need to waste money on speed regulation infrastructure, less accidents, no more drink driving, work/read/etc on the move, or just relax and enjoy the scenery. In fact, catch up on some sleep.

Assuming it works reliably, of course.

In fact, wave goodbye to the personal car and have these as 'zip/street' type cars, everywhere.

When you see stuff like this, it's hard to have much against Google. I hope this stuff comes on leaps and bounds in the near future because it would open up all kinds of possibilities for travel which would hopefully make life easier for everyone.

That's actually pretty neat. Will be an interesting concept once it's further developed and more people latch on to the idea.

When you see stuff like this, it's hard to have much against Google. I hope this stuff comes on leaps and bounds in the near future because it would open up all kinds of possibilities for travel which would hopefully make life easier for everyone.
As long as you want to go where google wants you to go...

I always knew this would happen but never thought google would be the company to pioneer it. Kind of makes sense that they have though.

It is pretty cool.

Lots of carmakers are working on similar things. Indeed I recall film from one from Volvo recently. But it is interesting that advances can come from non car companies like google. I would expect it would have more acceptance in the car industry if someone like Bosch did it. After all, all ultrasonic reversing sensors are supplied by Bosch.

Roll on driver-less cars for everyone. There's the potential to save a great deal of time and money there too: far less traffic jams, no need to waste money on speed regulation infrastructure, less accidents, no more drink driving, work/read/etc on the move, or just relax and enjoy the scenery. In fact, catch up on some sleep.

Assuming it works reliably, of course.

In fact, wave goodbye to the personal car and have these as 'zip/street' type cars, everywhere.
No more sodding car insurance hikes. :mad:

I always knew this would happen but never thought google would be the company to pioneer it. Kind of makes sense that they have though.
It is pretty cool.

Lots of carmakers are working on similar things. Indeed I recall film from one from Volvo recently. But it is interesting that advances can come from non car companies like google. I would expect it would have more acceptance in the car industry if someone like Bosch did it. After all, all ultrasonic reversing sensors are supplied by Bosch.
first one I remember seeing was mercedes (I think) years ago, they're all at it really.

johnny-cab.jpg

Do you need a license?

It does n't look like you have any input so you'd guess not. But then you look at how the DOT deals with other transport innovations like the Segway, and from personal experience from dealing with the CAA, the UK will insist the UK version has manual overide and we will be back to square one

Can you imagine how this will liberate the lives of the old and infirm?
Given that accidents are 90% the fault of the humanoid at the wheel, I also welcome the robot takeoever.

Back
Top Bottom