Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ghost bikes

Ah so that's what they are... There is one on essex road outside mosquito bikes...

At first I thought it must have belonged to some uber-trendy fixie rider who had sourced entirely white components - but then I noticed that bits were going missing so was a bit mystified.

It's a nice tribute.

2509_ghostbike.jpg

Well sorry to bump a really old thread but there are only 3 with this in the title.

I travel in on the CS7 and have seen a newly placed ghost bike on the northbank junction of Southwark Bridge Rd (Link to still from GoogleMaps taken prior to the bike being there). There were flowers and cards and it looked fairly recent so I had a closer look. One of the cards was addressed to a Sebastion. Makes it all the more real when there are messages there. I cross this junction daily and have seen many near misses. There is an article from last year that mentions the junction on the southbank.

Ghost bikes are an important reminder for the rest of us (cyclists and motor vehicle drivers) to take care. Perhaps we could list all the ones we know about as a useful tool. Forwarned is forarmed.

I used to think they were 'art' (I had only seen one in Streatham), until someone pointed out to me what they were actually for :(

I used to think they were 'art' (I had only seen one in Streatham), until someone pointed out to me what they were actually for :(
The important thing is you know now. Spread the awareness = safer cycling.

There's one in Greenwich, on the corner of Vanbrugh Hill and the Woolwich Road. There's a plaque with it, and flowers that are changed regularly. It's been there for a couple of years now. The victim was a lady who went up the inside of a lorry. Whether it was turning left or not I don't know, but either way she ended up trapped between it and the railings. :(

There's one in Greenwich, on the corner of Vanbrugh Hill and the Woolwich Road. There's a plaque with it, and flowers that are changed regularly. It's been there for a couple of years now. The victim was a lady who went up the inside of a lorry. Whether it was turning left or not I don't know, but either way she ended up trapped between it and the railings. :(
Any chance of posting a link to goolemaps or something. It would be nice to have the exact locations of these for all our safety. I'll do links to the ones above from the original postings.

Ghost bikes above:

Any chance of posting a link to goolemaps or something. It would be nice to have the exact locations of these for all our safety. I'll do links to the ones above from the original postings.

I don't know how to post one! As I said, it's on the corner of Vanbrugh Hill and Woolwich Road. It's not a notably dangerous junction AFAIK.

Come to think of it, there was another one at the junction under the Blackwall Tunnel flyover on the edge of Charlton a couple of years ago, but I think that one's gone now.

To be honest, I like this sort of tribute far better than just the crucifixes or flowers you see at crash sites. Even though this is the first time I've read about it, it makes sense. Yes, it can be mistaken as some art deco piece, but once you get close enough to the plaque or cards, you get the idea of why it's there. Good on the person who thought this up. Very well done.

To be honest, I like this sort of tribute far better than just the crucifixes or flowers you see at crash sites. Even though this is the first time I've read about it, it makes sense. Yes, it can be mistaken as some art deco piece, but once you get close enough to the plaque or cards, you get the idea of why it's there. Good on the person who thought this up. Very well done.
Once you've seen one you very soon start noticing them all over the place. They outlast flowers and card tributes too, thereby constantly reminding us to take it easy as there was a fatality in the area, a fact that we can easily forget on our dialy fuckfightfest getting in to work every day.

Well sorry to bump a really old thread but there are only 3 with this in the title.

I travel in on the CS7 and have seen a newly placed ghost bike on the northbank junction of Southwark Bridge Rd (Link to still from GoogleMaps taken prior to the bike being there). There were flowers and cards and it looked fairly recent so I had a closer look. One of the cards was addressed to a Sebastion. Makes it all the more real when there are messages there. I cross this junction daily and have seen many near misses. There is an article from last year that mentions the junction on the southbank.

Ghost bikes are an important reminder for the rest of us (cyclists and motor vehicle drivers) to take care. Perhaps we could list all the ones we know about as a useful tool. Forwarned is forarmed.

Actually killed eight years ago.

Once you've seen one you very soon start noticing them all over the place. They outlast flowers and card tributes too, thereby constantly reminding us to take it easy as there was a fatality in the area, a fact that we can easily forget on our dialy fuckfightfest getting in to work every day.

I bet it's more noticeable once you start seeing them. Like I said, I completely understand the concept, and actually like it. It helps put the issue in the forefront as why there are just some asshats on the road.

Pass this one (Eilidh Cairns) when I cycle to work... Didn't see it today though, will have another look on the way back.

101735371__02_258812c.jpg

this is the one I'd like to repaint as it's looking shabby, but I can;t find any contact deets for the family of the person, and there's a whole can of worms about going 'i think you've let your memorial get shit, I'll sort it for you'

this is the one I'd like to repaint as it's looking shabby, but I can;t find any contact deets for the family of the person, and there's a whole can of worms about going 'i think you've let your memorial get shit, I'll sort it for you'
I think you should just get up there and spray the bugger. I'm sure the family would be delighted if they knew someone cared enough to tart up their memorial.

Pass this one (Eilidh Cairns) when I cycle to work... Didn't see it today though, will have another look on the way back.

Ah, I'd mentally shifted it 100 metres down the road to the next junction.

Back
Top Bottom