Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fracking in Streatham??

co-op

But....but cLoWnFiSh....
The agreed work programme for the licence was the acquisition of 60 km of 2D seismic (estimated cost $500,000) within the 6-year term of the licence. Interpretation and analysis of the seismic data acquired will help further define the prospect, with the option to drill a well afterwards, or simply relinquish the licence. The blocks are located 8km to the north of the sizeable Palmers Wood oil field and only 2km north of the Warlingham borehole, which had numerous indications of oil and gas..

http://www.energy-pedia.com/news/un...ogramme-update-on-its-four-weald-basin-blocks

:eek:

Crikey the "Warlingham borehole"? Who knew?

residents can expect a reduction in council tax at least.
and once it's up and running, you probably wouldn't even know it's there, apart from the required increase in HGV traffic.

residents can expect a reduction in council tax at least.
and once it's up and running, you probably wouldn't even know it's there, apart from the required increase in HGV traffic.
"Can expect" =/= "will receive". As for the increase in HGV traffic, main roads in the area are congested enough as it is, even outside of the rush hour.

"Can expect" =/= "will receive". As for the increase in HGV traffic, main roads in the area are congested enough as it is, even outside of the rush hour.

Oh yes, don't get me wrong, we must kill the HGV scourge before it kills (more) of us. My point is that increased HGV traffic is the worst potential by-product of fracking in urban areas.

I'm in the O&G industry, yes, but have no vested interest in fracking and am not affiliated with Quadrilla or any other affiliated party. My bills are paid by doing offshore safety work. re fracking, I'm just an interested observer really.

Thanks for the above link.
Regulation of fracking in the US has historically been frankly terrible, so yeah, definitely there are data which show groundwater contamination. If the industry is properly regulated and minimum safety requirements are established and followed, there are no issues with groundwater contamination.
As with any new tech it takes a long time for the risks to be properly understood, the industry is maturing and you can only hope that UK regulations will be tighter particularly in urban areas.

[quote="DanJer, post: 1275<snip>Regulation of fracking in the US has historically been frankly terrible, so yeah, definitely there are data which show groundwater contamination. If the industry is properly regulated and minimum safety requirements are established and followed, there are no issues with groundwater contamination.
As with any new tech it takes a long time for the risks to be properly understood, the industry is maturing and you can only hope that UK regulations will be tighter particularly in urban areas.[/quote]
You can indeed hope. That doesn't mean you (or the rest of us) can rely on tighter regulations being tighter than in the USA, let alone properly enforced.

Fracking has already caused a minor earthquake in this country, which led to fracking being stopped. Would you care to bet an amount of money which you can't afford to lose that there won't be another (or groundwater contamination) if fracking starts up again?

I'm in the O&G industry, yes, but have no vested interest in fracking and am not affiliated with Quadrilla or any other affiliated party. My bills are paid by doing offshore safety work. re fracking, I'm just an interested observer really.

Thanks for the above link.
Regulation of fracking in the US has historically been frankly terrible, so yeah, definitely there are data which show groundwater contamination. If the industry is properly regulated and minimum safety requirements are established and followed, there are no issues with groundwater contamination.
As with any new tech it takes a long time for the risks to be properly understood, the industry is maturing and you can only hope that UK regulations will be tighter particularly in urban areas.

Oh well that is alright then, the already known and documented shortcomings are simply a learning process and the disruption, contamination etc is negliable? :facepalm:

You joined today and you are straight in on the thread defending fracking? :hmm:

I do hope you are being paid well, your work here is tantamount to selling your soul to the devil. My hope is that you are at least self important enough to have asked a good price.

Fracking has already caused a minor earthquake in this country, which led to fracking being stopped. Would you care to bet an amount of money which you can't afford to lose that there won't be another (or groundwater contamination) if fracking starts up again?

Of course not, but I'm standing by my original statement that the largest risk associated with fracking in London will be the associated increase in HGV traffic.

I do hope you are being paid well, your work here is tantamount to selling your soul to the devil. My hope is that you are at least self important enough to have asked a good price.

My work is rewarding. I play a part in reducing the risk in an inherently risky industry.

Oh well that is alright then, the already known and documented shortcomings are simply a learning process and the disruption, contamination etc is negliable? :facepalm:

You joined today and you are straight in on the thread defending fracking? :hmm:

Judgemental rather?

Fracking shouldn't even be taking place until the risks are properly understood.

And as for the regulations, in view of the above, they are irrelevant. There are lots of people who have done, are doing, and will continue to do more than 'hope' ensure that this totally unacceptable practice doesn't go ahead unquestioned.

Also, do share how you developed the ability to see into the future.

the O&G industry is safer now than it was 10 years ago, and 10 years ago it was safer than it was 10 years before that. This is because the HSE and other global regulators, and the industry itself, places a very high value on safety. why should this trend change?

Yes it is. I have strong opinions about fracking.
I also dislike the way people seek to belittle the already known and documented risks.

He is expressing his opinions, based on the evidence he is aware of, just like you are. You seem to be making some kind of moral judgement on him.

I hope that you don't earn your living doing anything that relies on industrial processes that aren't 100% risk free.

the O&G industry is safer now than it was 10 years ago, and 10 years ago it was safer than it was 10 years before that. This is because the HSE and other global regulators, and the industry itself, places a very high value on safety. why should this trend change?

Again. Translated to mean that the inherent risks and damage already done by fracking is negliable. You hope, nothing more. Do you live in Streatham? Do you live anywhere else that is under threat of being fracked or where exploratory drilling has taken place?

And, worries about groundwater contamination etc are a distraction from the most important reason that fracking should be resisted, which is that it extends our reliance on fossil fuel and the infrastructure that goes with it and makes it harder for other energy sources to get off the ground.

He is expressing his opinions, based on the evidence he is aware of, just like you are. You seem to be making some kind of moral judgement on him.

Yes, I think it's immoral to belittle the distruption, destruction and contamination that has already taken place. I also think it's immoral to ignore the inherent risks with fracking by positing an argument that boils down to personal 'hope'.

yeah, I do live in Streatham actually.

risk = probability of occurrence X consequence of occurrence

the potential consequence of groundwater contamination, or gas release, or any hydrocarbon risk associated with fracking, in an urban area, is severe. lots of people potentially affected, lots of political issues, and as this thread proves, lots of negative connotations already exist due to poor regulation in america - any incident would be very, very bad for the producer. to get the risk down to an acceptable level, such that fracking in urban areas is allowed to go ahead, means that the probability will need to be damn near zero (this is typically measured in events per 10,000 or 100,000 years, fyi).
that is why i'm confident that the legislators, HSE, and the producer will enact strict regulations before urban fracking will go forward.

Yes, I think it's immoral to belittle the distruption, destruction and contamination that has already taken place. I also think it's immoral to ignore the inherent risks with fracking by positing an argument that boils down to personal 'hope'.
Why are you using the word "belittle"? What has he said to justfy that?

Back
Top Bottom