Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Former job centre in Josephine Avenue in Brixton is squatted

leanderman

Street Party: July 2
A tweet I saw today suggests that the former job centre in Josephine Avenue has been occupied, in some way or other.

A planning application had just been put in for 42 studio flats for students.

studio flats for students? you'd get a load more students in if it were a propa 'Halls of Residence.'

Nice one anyway, been empty a while, ;)

A planning application had just been put in for 42 studio flats for students.

Yeah, that seems to be the latest money-spinning wheeze for developers. I'd be interested to see how developers would get "change of use" from business to residential, though.

Why would students want to live in Brixton? Surely somewhere nearer their place of study would be a better idea?

Or is it just more hipsterisation?

Why would students want to live in Brixton? Surely somewhere nearer their place of study would be a better idea?

student digs are very popular money making schemes at the moment for aspiring slum landlords. you can charge almost 200 a week for basically a tiny room. way more profitable than renting out flats.

student digs are very popular money making schemes at the moment for aspiring slum landlords. you can charge almost 200 a week for basically a tiny room. way more profitable than renting out flats.

This is true. That's what the proposal is for the building above Iceland. although I can't remember whether it was ever approved. They originally put in planning for 100s of little flats in there, but it was refused and then they replied for a slightly more reasonable number.

Yep - there's some proposed to be built at Herne Hill, and there's a MASSIVE development going up on the corner of Landor Road/Stockwell Road with hundreds of student flats.

As Crispy would point out, were he here, building student flats reduces the pressure on big family homes that might otherwise be used as shared student housing.

As Crispy would point out, were he here, building student flats reduces the pressure on big family homes that might otherwise be used as shared student housing.
I had this very thought, but had to rush for my train :D

I'd be interested to see how developers would get "change of use" from business to residential, though.

I'd be surprised if they didn't get change of use.

The building, in a residential road, has failed to attract any business tenants whatsoever since it's one-off venture as a business premises. That would suggest its current designation is not viable.

I have a group of students living next door. They are lovely- charming, friendly, etc etc, but never have parties and 2 drive new Beamers. I knew there were students like that, but never thought I'd meet them in Brixton. Clapham, quite possibly. (And can't help feeling student life is seriously missing something these days....)

The lights are very much on in there - quite a few squatters. After six years of idleness, it is odd, and pleasing, to see the building in use.

I suspect the studio scheme will prevail however, and that is not all bad.

The lights are very much on in there - quite a few squatters. After six years of idleness, it is odd, and pleasing, to see the building in use.

I suspect the studio scheme will prevail however, and that is not all bad.

Good, the building can't have been there more than 20 years and to have been sitting there doing nothing for six years is ridiculous

true, i hadn't thought of that. and actually that's definitely a good thing around here.

I have a group of students living next door. They are lovely- charming, friendly, etc etc, but never have parties and 2 drive new Beamers. I knew there were students like that, but never thought I'd meet them in Brixton. Clapham, quite possibly. (And can't help feeling student life is seriously missing something these days....)
I guess that once you've taken on tens of K debt for your course and tens more K for living, the price of a Beemer doesn't seem all that extravegant!:D

Back
Top Bottom