Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Foodbanks

treelover

Foodbanks are talked a lot about now, in the media, the left, etc, they are growing exponentially across the U.K: but what are the facts about them? for instance, people seem to think that clients can just go to them when and as much as they like, but of course they can't. Clients, afiak can only be collect food three times and have to be referred by a GP, DWP, 'cleric, etc.

They seem to be a feature of the welfare state now, incredibly quickly and without debate( a return to the 30's in many ways)

Should the left, activists, etc get involved in them as L/U groups across the U.K are considering, should they be opposed even?, Smith released funds two years ago for them, he knew what was coming and of course the Tories see them as a key part of a new welfare settlement

They are very harsh in who they will or not release food to - it's Means Test behaviour and heavily judgemental designed to sap self-confidence and political engagement, and allied with the major supermarket firms like ASDA, who wouldn't bat an eyelid at prosecuting someone trying to nab a leg of lamb for their families without fuss or bureaucracy.

They are very harsh in who they will or not release food to - it's Means Test behaviour and heavily judgemental designed to sap self-confidence and political engagement, and allied with the major supermarket firms like ASDA, who wouldn't bat an eyelid at prosecuting someone trying to nab a leg of lamb for their families without fuss or bureaucracy.

Really? Is that why they are so strict about giving out the food?

Somehow, I always that that is was a case of them being there for the needy, not the greedy.

I think most are Trussel (?) Trust ones and you need a voucher from the DSS or police or GP? I think there are some other ones where they have different criteria which may be more or less prescriptive.

Should the left, activists, etc get involved in them as L/U groups across the U.K are considering, should they be opposed even?

dunno really.

I feel pretty uncomfortable at the idea of charity providing essentials - especially the element of it where the self appointed officers of those charities can set their own criteria for who they consider to be 'deserving' of their help.

But if the state isn't going to provide those essentials, and whatever we do about it, the state isn't going to change overnight, then the people who have already been abandoned by the state are going to suffer the consequences of opposing food banks.

:mad:

Some food banks may be like this, but not all. The one we have round the corner from me has no ties whatsoever to supermarkets or any other businesses. Anyone who goes to one of the partner organisations who issue referrals to the food bank will get a referral if they ask for one. Referrals come from local charities, NGO's etc and not the DWP or the police or any other branch of the government which is driving so many people to the level of poverty where they become dependant on handouts in the first place.

dunno really.

I feel pretty uncomfortable at the idea of charity providing essentials - especially the element of it where the self appointed officers of those charities can set their own criteria for who they consider to be 'deserving' of their help.

But if the state isn't going to provide those essentials, and whatever we do about it, the state isn't going to change overnight, then the people who have already been abandoned by the state are going to suffer the consequences of opposing food banks.

:mad:

As I said before...BPP and their breakfast thing is an example we should look at.

I'm not surprised a leg of lamb costs a mint these days, I bet they don't give them away at food banks.

As I said before...BPP and their breakfast thing is an example we should look at.

I had to go and look that up (article here for anyone else in similar position)...

What I love even more than the healthy food they serve, is that all the kids are offered some; not just the kids from families that qualify for free or subsidized meals, because singling out and stigmatizing kids for needing support just isn't cool

:)

...something community based (though I guess you could do workplace ones too in theory).

That is open to all, regardless. Take away the charity aspect.

Perhaps linked to community allotments or something too where possible.

Encourage bring food too. Pot luck community breakfast.

A good meal for all who need/want one, building developing community solidarity etc.

Fuck it, people closed off streets for the jubilee and did community street parties with food, it can be done.

Tip if anyone is in need and lives locally to an Asian area, Gurdwaras offer a free hot lunch to anyone who comes in. The food is donated by the Sikh community who then volunteer their time to cook it each day.

All the while the so-called Xian community is so uncaring that they are happy to let their neighbours starve.

Back
Top Bottom