Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Five-year-old April Jones kidnapped in Machynlleth, Mid-Wales

Awful news, I go regularly to the town for a Latin American festival, its a lovely and special place, though there are tensions between 'locals' and 'newcomers'

Lets hope the person in the van is an estranged husband or something.But it does not look good

What the fuck is a five year old doing on her own ? The mother called the police when she didn't come home?

shagnasty said:
Lets hope the person in the van is an estranged husband or something.But it does not look good

I can't see it being an estranged husband. Not much info but you would thought that the police/press would be aware of that. Hope this turns out ok :(

Pickman's model said:
It's interesting how swiftly facebook groups are set up for things like this

She has been missing for 12 hours and Facebook is surely one of the best places to quickly spread photos/information.

What the fuck is a five year old doing on her own ? The mother called the police when she didn't come home?
I don't think she was on her own. Wasn't her abduction witnessed by some other kids? The article says

She had been playing on her bike with friends near her home on the Brynygog estate in the market town in mid Wales.

Anyway it says she was near her home. Perhaps its the kind of place where people have always felt safe letting their kids play in the street. Rather than have a go at her mom, we should be asking ourselves why kids being able to play out is considered so unusual.

You're right, this sort of thing should be kept quiet to avoid 'thrill-seekers'.

One of the FB groups looks to be set up by her mum, why don't you go tell her that. I expect the poor woman just wanted to feel she was doing something. :(
Did it make you feel better, putting words in my mouth?

I don't think she was on her own. Wasn't her abduction witnessed by some other kids? The article says

Anyway it says she was near her home. Perhaps its the kind of place where people have always felt safe letting their kids play in the street. Rather than have a go at her mom, we should be asking ourselves why kids being able to play out is considered so unusual.
Exactly what I thought. Kids won't be allowed to play out on their own there anymore.

We often let our kids play out on the street. They're 5 and 7.
I'd hate this to happen to my kids but this kind of abduction is still very rare.
Let's hope she is OK but I have my doubts God bless her.......:(

This story is getting a LOT less media (and Urban) attention than Meg and Jezza did :hmm:
Maybe because it is an ongoing police operation - I mean I know the Megan/Jeremy thing was as well but this is a bit more immediate iyswim so maybe the media feel they need to be a bit more circumspect?

Some remarks on the town which appears to be a very close community and a very safe environment.

It is populated both by those whose families have lived here for generations and by many incomers attracted by the town's tradition as a liberal and environmentally-friendly place to live.
Also need to emphasise how vast the landscapes are around the town – to the north the wilds of Snowdonia, to the south the huge emptiness of mid Wales.
Just a few market towns and villages between here and the M4 corridor, two and a half hours away. Cut an hour and half inland east, though, and you hit the motorway network.
The estate where the Jones family live is compact. No main road runs through it. It does not look like the sort of place from which an abductor would be able to grab a child unnoticed.

I moved here from Manchester to give my children the same childhood I had in the seventies- the freedom to be able to play out, climb trees, play by the river etc.
This is a wonderfully safe place with hardly any crime and my three boys often play out away from the home without me worrying about them.
Please don't judge these parents; if you knew Mach and Aberystwyth you would know its a wonderful, safe community based place where everyone knows each other and people look out for each other... I hope and pray they return little April to her parents where she belongs.

Awful news, I go regularly to the town for a Latin American festival, its a lovely and special place, though there are tensions between 'locals' and 'newcomers'

Yeah, yeah, same old story. What tensions?? I suppose the locals all talk in that 'coded' language of ours and about you, I suspect. Listen, the locals have put up with years of 'incomers' (your word), coming in and seeking an 'alternative lifestyle' and the 'good-life' and, thus, transforming a town that was once simply a rural and peaceful Welsh indigenous community, where the language thrived, into a mini Glastonbury. And I'd say that these 'incomers' have managed quite well, despite the 'tensions' you're on about. And just because the locals haven't embraced this 'alternative' lifestyle, I suppose you think that they're the ones marching out of step, in Mach. Just like when the pioneers first went to America, they too thought that the Natives were hostile, when in all reality, they weren't accustomed to these new and strange ways of foreigners. What efforts have the 'incomers' made to embrace the language and culture in the heartland of Wales, I wonder. Empathise a bit, won't you?

Nasty story, I hope they find the little girl quickly.

It does sound as if she knew the person in the van if she got in under her own steam.

Nasty story, I hope they find the little girl quickly.

It does sound as if she knew the person in the van if she got in under her own steam.

Nasty indeed, I once lost sight of my 5 year old walking her to her classroom. We were already on the school grounds and it was only for about 30 seconds, but I almost died inside. I cannot imagine what the parents are going though.

Nasty indeed, I once lost sight of my 5 year old walking her to her classroom. We were already on the school grounds and it was only for about 30 seconds, but I almost died inside. I cannot imagine what the parents are going though.
Yep, my daughter once toddled off through the usually locked back gate when I was on the phone. Longest ten mins of my life searching for her and screaming her name. Police car picked her up at the other end of the street. Never have I felt such a sense of panic :( Her poor, poor parents.

I spent a lot of time in mach a decade ago and it absolutely is the sort of place where kids as young as five play out. Though probably not now. :-(

Back
Top Bottom