Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Fab sculpture in Berkeley Square - but what's the faceless nun all about?

editor

hiraethified
berkeley-square-london-05.jpg

berkeley-square-london-01.jpg

I liked it but can't find any info about it online. Anyone know?

More: http://www.urban75.org/blog/statues-sculptures-and-phone-boxes-in-berkeley-square-london/

Doesn't seem to fit the manner of her deah though:
Louis then murders suffragette Lady Agatha D'Ascoyne (her hot air balloon pierced by an arrow followed by a fatal fall, with Louis remarking, "I shot an arrow in the air. She fell to earth in Berkeley Square.)

I wonder if it's there because it's close to the original convent in the area (Convent Garden was the original name for Covent Garden).

I wonder if it's there because it's close to the original convent in the area (Convent Garden was the original name for Covent Garden).
Maybe they shoved it there because he did the bomber command memorial in Green Park last month.

ETA
The Portland Gallery in London is hosting a major exhibition of Philip's work from 19th September to 28th November 2012.

The more I look at the sculpture, the more I like it.

You can only see one of them in the pic, but there were two dogs taking a keen interest in me when I was taking the photos, barking at me, trying to chew on bits of me in a 'friendly' way and generally getting being a nuisance, while the owner chatted to his mate nearby.

I must go and have a look at that someday. I think it is fabulous. Philip Jackson is a proper figurative sculptor - non of that conceptual stuff. With that Nun series as shown online he seems to have invented a new sculptural language based on nun style costumes. The one in the OP really looks like she is about to be lifted up by the wind.

Back
Top Bottom