Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Excessive vegetable size quandary

Citizen66

splash the cistern
So you find yourself making a Sunday roast for a small amount of people. Meat is meat and too much can always be used throughout the week in sandwiches or whatever.

What I find difficult is that you can usually buy vegetables to suit your needs apart from two. Cabbage and Turnip. Which are sold by the entire article. And waaaaaay too much than what is needed, in my circumstances any road.

What solutions do people have for this? I find that vegetables don't keep too long once dabbled with - they generally don't keep long enough for Sunday roast a week later and the amount left is too excessive to feel happy about binning and too much for the guinea pig to deal with alone.

Obviously making a stew with the leftovers or soup is an idea. Any others? I rarely use either ingredients in anything other than Sunday dinner. Suggestions appreciated.

Keep them in the fridge (except for spuds) or buy loose in the market. You don't have to get a kilo, you are allowed to buy two carrots or whatever.

What I find difficult is that you can usually buy vegetables to suit your needs apart from two. Cabbage and Turnip. Which are sold by the entire article. And waaaaaay too much than what is needed, in my circumstances any road.

Ditch the cabbage and have roast turnip for one meal and mix some and mash it with spuds for another.

cabbage can be made into coleslaw or cooked with bacon/lardons. Turnip can be eaten raw as a snack. No really, I like raw turnip*

*Actually I tried turnip once and didn't like it. I mean neeps/swede.

Cabbage is proper wrong. Gf likes it. Think I need to investigate cabbage recipes to make it a finer thing. Had some wonderful sauerkraut once cooked in a certain way which is basically the same thing in principle is it not?

There is a cabbage recipe thread on here somewhere.

The mixing neeps with mash idea works too.

I don't know the difference between turnip and swede. :oops: They seem identical.

Well being scottish living in England there is a lot of confusion.

This is what I call a neep/swede

swede_mid.jpg

larger, yellow/purple.

And this a turnip

Turnip.jpg

smaller white/purple

I think the latter is a native turnip and the former a swedish turnip which emigrated here at some point and became more popular.

Different colour.

Is that what it is? The only difference I spotted is that they sell Swede in the South-East and turnip in the North-East. Maybe different names for different social perspectives?

And they sell swedes by the half. The wankers in the north don't do that with turnips. They make you buy the whole thing.

swede_mid.jpg

larger, yellow/purple.

And this a turnip

Turnip.jpg

smaller white/purple

I think the latter is a native turnip and the former a swedish turnip which emigrated here at some point and became more popular.

Very confusing. Our Northern turnips look more like your example of swedes. Never seen those turnip examples anywhere.

And Southern swedes look like those turnips too.

swede_mid.jpg

Yes, thats a bloody swede, whys my links fail upon inspection.
Shouldnt be any confusion about it being called that in England, thats what they call em in Tesco, which frankly is where most people will see em.

Is that what it is? The only difference I spotted is that they sell Swede in the South-East and turnip in the North-East. Maybe different names for different social perspectives?

And they sell swedes by the half. The wankers in the north don't do that with turnips. They make you buy the whole thing.

No thats not the only difference, hence my continued postings after I wasn't satisfied with my half hearted effort lol.
Not entirely sure what a 'Northern Turnip' is, as theres no reference to such a turnip that looks surprisingly like a swede, but isnt..
Those are certainly swede in Cornwall and it appears Scotland, local naming irregularity it would appear for a swede.

Very confusing. Our Northern turnips look more like your example of swedes. Never seen those turnip examples anywhere.

And Southern swedes look like those turnips too.

Well neep is short/scottish for turnip. I was brought up on the big yellow ones and called them neeps. Then I came to London and said ''neeps''. What are neeps? Turnips. English friend then thinks I mean the small white ones. To her the big yellow ones are Swedes. So we talked at cross purposes for quite some time. Then I saw the small white ones which I was unfamiliar with. So yes, it's confusing.

No thats not the only difference, hence my continued postings after I wasn't satisfied with my half hearted effort lol.
Not entirely sure what a 'Northern Turnip' is, as theres no reference to such a turnip that looks surprisingly like a swede, but isnt..
Those are certainly swede in Cornwall and it appears Scotland, local naming irregularity it would appear for a swede.

Yes. I suspect a branding thing. We say tom-ah-to, you say tom-ay-to type thing. What they sell as 'turnips' in the NE are sold as 'swedes' in the SE iyswim.

Actually looking at that its fucking shit. Never ever heard anyone in cornwall call anything a white turnip, stupid page.

I just never got my head around the same vegetable being called something different in the NE than in the SE.

But then we can't even agree on how to pronounce vowels ffs! :mad:

Back
Top Bottom