Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Donald Byrd dead

So much music - great career. Loads of classics.
This ones serious

RIP
salute_smiley.gif

check the groove on this one... :cool: pure niceness

Mizell Brothers production, hence all those killer string arrangements

RIP

Great great musician. I always loved the story about the school kids he turned into a band. The Blackbyrds.

Familiar name but the music passed me by until now
Only heard him as a sideman on a couple of jazz albums
Enjoyed the youtube videos

RIP

loads of classic Blackbyrd funk tunes you might know
Rock Creek Park

walking in rhythmn

Do IT Fluid

Im not certain how often Donald played on Blackbyrd recordings though - he definitely set the band up but not sure he played on each and every track ...anyone know?

Only heard him as a sideman on a couple of jazz albums
Enjoyed the youtube videos

RIP
You should definitely check him out.

I was only listening to Byrd in Hand yesterday morning. Which isn't really very spooky, that and Black Byrd (amongst others) are frequently spinning chez Rouge.

RIP Donald.

A sad day - RIP. Rarely a day goes by whan I dont have something by Byrd or something sampled from him playing. A massive contributor to Hip Hop over the years

With the late Guru :(

shit we're losing too many greats :(

One man who reached 80 and left a mark.
This sounds really trite, but you can close your eyes, ignore the melody and the dexterity - just listen to the
TONE:cool:
Carried Byrd in Flight around school along with Art Blakey, Howling Wolf and Muddy Waters - so thanks man for making me so insufferably 'arty' when the others were into The Dave Clarke Five :)

RIP

The influential jazz trumpeter Donald Byrd died on Monday at the age of 80, his nephew has said.

Alex Bugnon, a jazz pianist, reported his uncle's death on Thursday, though it has yet to be confirmed.

Bugnon wrote on his own Facebook page: "Donald passed away Monday in Delaware, where he lived. His funeral will be held in Detroit sometime next week. I have no more patience for this unnecessary shroud of secrecy placed over his death by certain members of his immediate family. "

Byrd was born Donaldson Toussaint L'Ouverture Byrd II in Detroit in 1932 and began his career with Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers in the 1950s, performing alongside the likes of John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Thelonious Monk and Herbie Hancock.

While his roots were in bebop he later became equally renowned for soul and funk, and particularly jazz fusion. He went on to become one of jazz label Blue Note's most significant artists, for whom he recorded most of his releases, including the 1973 album Black Byrd, which became the label's biggest ever seller.

Long after his commercial peak, Byrd's influence continued to be felt in popular music, sampled by hip-hop artists including Public Enemy, Nas, the Pharcyde and Del Tha Funkee Homosapien and house producer Armand Van Helden.

Byrd's legacy is summed up by his nephew's Facebook tribute: "Let's remember Donald as a one of a kind pioneer of the trumpet, of the many styles of music he took on, of music education. In sum, Donald was an avid, eternal student of music, until his death. That's what I try to be, everyday!! Rest in peace, uncle!"

ska invita

Listening to that Byrd mix has made me aware of many more samples than I was aware of! Thank you!

Is this the right thread to post links to music inspired by Byrd? I think it should be, but if anyone objects, then I won't post any more.

I've actually had miles more exposure to him due to sampling than original material, so make of that what you will.

OK, so I'm assuming no one will mind me posting stuff that was influenced by him, so here we go:

One of my favourite tunes ever and it's almost entirely made from a ~5 second sample from a much larger, more comprehensive, Byrd tune:

And then one of my favourite track from one of my favourite albums of all time: the Madlib reworking of Bluenote Records' back catalogue (Shades of Blue - search it out, it's incredible!), which I didn't realise was a Byrd tune until today, but it makes sense:

And then one of my favourite track from one of my favourite albums of all time: the Madlib reworking of Bluenote Records' back catalogue (Shades of Blue - search it out, it's incredible!), which I didn't realise was a Byrd tune until today, but it makes sense:

Theres another Madlib one:
original (unreleased track - or came out as a bonus trrack on a cd or something)

Madlib

Im a sucker for Cookie Crew :oops: a big soft spot . Places and Spaces has been sampled by a lot of people, but this is the one I think of immediately. Love the South London shouts in the intro

theres better cookie crew tunes out there

I've actually had miles more exposure to him due to sampling than original material, so make of that what you will.

sampling really opened me up to all this music too

please record and post it supine. i will be out in the morning, but if you cant do it i'll try and sort out a recording from the stream

Back
Top Bottom