Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coldharbour Lane Party.. .. looking for volunteers

passpat2

Lambeth Council have graciously allowed us to close Coldharbour Lane from K.F.C down to the Dogstar on bank holiday monday (29th) for a street party.. the idea behind it is to show to the media, potential new buisness etc that Brixton is not all about drug dealers, people getting mugged, and the past riots... ( and its also a good excuse for a party) we have a chance to show ' the other side of Brixton'.. they have also promised taht if all goes well we can repeat this next year ( a maybe expand it slightly).. we are looking for any who is willing to give a bit of time for free.. plus any street performers etc... the premice is that its a family day.. so any kids performers etc would be nice.. and anyone who would like to have a little stall selling crafts etc are more than welcome to apply too... i know this is very short notice and we have literally 3 weeks to organise it... ( of those im away for 2 on holibobs) sooo all assistance would be appreciated... we even need to name the event.. design flyers etc... any help.. like i say if it goes well we have the potential to make it annual... so come guys... pleeaaasssseeee...

shite, i'm away that weekend otherwise i'd be more than happy to help out :(

we've got the People's Republic of Disco mailing list which i'm more than happy to use to publicise things, if that's any help.

More than happy to help out. I can do flyers - pretty good with photoshop / illustrator etc. - might even be able to print a load on the sly at work...

memespring said:
Nice one! Let me know if you need a webpage knocking up to help promote it.
that would be graet... can you pop in the albert and ill have a chat.. like i say away this friday so need to get the ball rolling as quick as.. ..

Crispy said:
More than happy to help out. I can do flyers - pretty good with photoshop / illustrator etc. - might even be able to print a load on the sly at work...
printing is no problem as i can get 5000 A6 colour done for £90.. but a submission of designs would be appreciated

wicked idea. i'm not about myself but i don't mind helping do some prep and promotions and stuff. not sure what skills i've got to offer though, but i can advertise it to my list and write press releases and stuff.

Got any idea what the event will be called?

Should we be brainstorming and blue-sky thinking? ;)

passpat2 said:
that would be graet... can you pop in the albert and ill have a chat.. like i say away this friday so need to get the ball rolling as quick as.. ..

I'll pop in tonight.

My next door neighbours have a stall outside Morleys every Saturday selling south American crafts and so on. I can mention this to them if you like. If they're interested, is there a number they should ring to apply?

right, it's on a bank holiday weekend on coldharbour lane. we want a name that will stand out, isn't full of the usual urban75 smart arse connotations and sounds like fun.

left to bloody hippy like me it'd end up being called the coldharbour fayre but that sounds like the sort of event any sane being would take a machine gun to.

Something nautical maybe, to go with harbour?
It's never a bad time for pirates :)

for real!

off course, once upon a time it was called cool arbour lane, implying a leafy shady forest grove or something. but pirates are cooler!

passpat2 said:
printing is no problem as i can get 5000 A6 colour done for £90.. but a submission of designs would be appreciated

I can spare a few hours flyering around Lougborough Junction / Ruskin Park

passpat2 said:

I can spare a few hours flyering around Lougborough Junction / Ruskin Park

passpat2 said:
sorting out the acts now..whats important is that there are enough activities for kids too... the theme after all ais a family day
give me a ring if you need any help
i'm your doorman by the way :eek:

I'll volunteer to do .... I dunno.... something, flyering? Need help with media relations? Maybe name it something re Brixton rather than Coldharbour Lane? Might be easier to think of stuff .... something tangibly 'different' from the Lambeth Country Fair is preferable, as if it's to continue you want to have the two to be quite separately branded so you aren't competing for people etc and are giving people enjoyment but so as they think it is worth going along to both, iyswim, to get a different vibe from each?

wrysmile said:
I'll volunteer to do .... I dunno.... something, flyering? Need help with media relations? Maybe name it something re Brixton rather than Coldharbour Lane? Might be easier to think of stuff .... something tangibly 'different' from the Lambeth Country Fair is preferable, as if it's to continue you want to have the two to be quite separately branded so you aren't competing for people etc and are giving people enjoyment but so as they think it is worth going along to both, iyswim, to get a different vibe from each?
thats the premise... Brixton.. its just that they have allowed us Coldharbour Lane... ( for this year )

wrysmile said:
Maybe name it something re Brixton rather than Coldharbour Lane?
yes - esp if it's all about showing that "Brixton is not all about drug dealers, people getting mugged, and the past riots" - call it the Brixton Family Fair or something :)

btw, i'm sure i posted on this thread earlier but it seems to have disappeared...wobbly boards and all that...was just to say to passpat i sent some mates your way with some ideas...:)

You maybe want it family, but not so family that it alienates the big section of people sans kids, but still says community....

I'm fucked at this sort of stuff but:

Brixton bank holiday bonanza
Bank holiday beats in Brixton
Brixton Beats
Brixton neighbourhood jam
Big Brixton
Cult of Coldharbour
Coldharbour community day/fair
Home Fair

I'm crap, aren't I? *runs off*

I'm sure there's scope for people in flourescent jackets to make things look organised :)

passpat2 said:
the idea behind it is to show to the media, potential new buisness etc that Brixton is not all about drug dealers, people getting mugged, and the past riots... ( and its also a good excuse for a party) we have a chance to show ' the other side of Brixton'.. . the premice is that its a family day..

How about calling it the Brixton Barbecue? It's a word that suggests a friendly, family type day, and would show the other side of Brixton. I guess what's meant when you say the other side of Brixton is that we just want to prove to everyone that it isn't 24/7 crime and drugs and violence, etc, but that in fact normal life goes on here just like everywhere else in the country. And what can be more part of normal life in the summer than a barbecue? The good thing about that as well is that, as it's not tied to a specific location - ie Coldharbour Lane - the Brixton Barbecue could be moved if it grew bigger.

Just an idea.

I'd love to help out with this. Anything you want, just say.

:)

Back
Top Bottom