Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

classical music in the tube station - wtf??

Brixton Hatter

Home is south London mate
when i came through the tube about an hour ago, they had loud classical music playing through the tannoy in the ticket office - erm :confused: :confused:

is this a new initiative to chill out all the beggars, ticket touts and mobile phone theives perhaps?!

cheers wiskas:) i remember that thread now. i don't use the tube normally (i'm a cyclist temporarily grounded due to medical reasons :( ) so today was the first time i'd ever noticed. the ticket hall was totally empty....

it's weird innit, mostly Tchaikovsky if i'm hearing it right, gets on my tits tbh but is pretty surreal sometimes when you've been on a long tube journey and are suddenly greeted by this climatic music on passing through the barriers.

trust me its even weirder when you've been listening to your own music for your journey and turn it off only to hear music carrying on:oops:

left me proper confused that did - i thought my hearing was broke.

:D

ok, so now we've sorted out what the music is, how about just outside the tube... how long has that huge fuck off vodaphone advert above iceland been there? it's massive. noticed it the other day when i was on the top of a bus opposite

It started just before Christmas and I thought it was just for the festive season initially. Quite like it myself.

Brixton Hatter said:
ok, so now we've sorted out what the music is, how about just outside the tube... how long has that huge fuck off vodaphone advert above iceland been there? it's massive. noticed it the other day when i was on the top of a bus opposite
2 weeks praps

i really like it - the music, not the vodaphone ad. makes going into brixton tube station a gently surreal experience. i'm disappointed when it's not on now.

i think there should be an Urban Classical Night Out. everyone in formal wear - tuxes, ballgowns - and then we'll take in the latest recital at our local venue - the Brixton Tube.

:cool: :D

ianw said:
i really like it - the music, not the vodaphone ad. makes going into brixton tube station a gently surreal experience. i'm disappointed when it's not on now.

i think there should be an Urban Classical Night Out. everyone in formal wear - tuxes, ballgowns - and then we'll take in the latest recital at our local venue - the Brixton Tube.

:cool: :D

That would be fucking excellent. Everyone bring your own folding chair

(actually, on second thoughts, that sounds a bit 'flashmob' doesn't it)

Originally Posted by Brixton Hatter
wiskey said:
2 weeks praps
wouldn't you be fucked off if you lived in those flats behind and had your view obscured by a shit load of scaffolding and a huge fuck off ad hoarding? In addition to being assaulted with classical music on your way home :D

Orang Utan said:
I think Wagner would be more appropriate

They were playing Ride of the Valkyries 1st thing on a Saturday morning a couple of months ago. It was seriously fucking with a couple of crusties who had clearly been out all night pilling their tits off :D :D

Think Wagner's O Fortuna more appropriate.

Think this classical thing maybe just enough to get me to visit that place. :p

Brixton Hatter said:
wouldn't you be fucked off if you lived in those flats behind and had your view obscured by a shit load of scaffolding and a huge fuck off ad hoarding? In addition to being assaulted with classical music on your way home :D

Is there anyone living in those flats? I thought they were empty. I'd be pretty pissed off if I were there. Maybe there should be some tasteful (ahem!) artwork added to them (if anyone can get up on the scaffolding)

The classical music is a brilliant idea though...brings some desparately-needed classiness to the station entrance!

Tottenham Hale station does the same thing.

But I don't know why, there is nothing around Tottenham Hale worthing hanging about for (and that is not a dig at Tottenham - I mean there is nothing by the station, just a big gyratory and a B&Q - why kids would want to hang round there is beyond me :confused: )

Nickster said:
Is there anyone living in those flats? I thought they were empty. I'd be pretty pissed off if I were there. Maybe there should be some tasteful (ahem!) artwork added to them (if anyone can get up on the scaffolding)

They're empty at the moment. They're being converted into "luxury" apartment type flats apparently (not sure exactly what as the planning permission was decided before we moved in just round the corner). I think they have to keep the fascia of the building because of it being in a conservation area.

Doesn't look like there's any work going on at the moment so they're probably just caning the advertising money from vodaphone. :rolleyes:

nipsla said:
They were playing Ride of the Valkyries 1st thing on a Saturday morning a couple of months ago. It was seriously fucking with a couple of crusties who had clearly been out all night pilling their tits off :D :D

I really should read the whole thread before replying. :oops:

Madusa said:
Think Wagner's O Fortuna more appropriate.

That would be Carl Orff, not Wagner.

Dunno what's special or strange about classical music. Certainly more pleasant than whichever style of pop/rock/rap etc. pp. someone or other picks.

It's all over London, I think -- I rented a spare room near Baron's Court before moving in a flatshare in Brixton, and there it was even more regular.

Hi btw. New here. Like it. Great forum.

chryss said:
I rented a spare room near Baron's Court before moving in a flatshare in Brixton, and there it was even more regular.
When was that? I spent four years commuting to Barons Court and never heard a note of classical music.

Donna Ferentes said:
When was that? I spent four years commuting to Barons Court and never heard a note of classical music.

I stayed there from mid-April to the end of June. (Been in Brixton since then.) I'd say, if there was music at all, it was of the classical kind. Very nice, esp. late at night, though slightly incongruous.

Back
Top Bottom