Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

celery...

Johnny Vodka

The Abominable Scotsman
So I buy celery, use a stick in a stew or bolognaise, then am left with a load that I don't know what to do with, bar make soup (which is getting boring)... What do y'all do with leftover celery? (I'm not a fan of it raw.)

If you have a head of celery, put it in a pint glass with a bit of water in the bottom of the glass, put it in the door of the fridge, and it's good for at least 3 weeks. If you can't use a head of celery in 3 weeks then you're doing it wrong!

Chop it up small, then simmer it in veg stock with pearl barley, chopped up chicken thighs and carrots for 30mins. Add some parsley at the end.

Chop it up small, then simmer it in veg stock with pearl barley, chopped up chicken thighs and carrots for 30mins. Add some parsley at the end.

I'm salivating just at the thought of that! Unfortunately I rarely get to cook meat as my OH doesn't like it, but celery is awesome in all kinds of dishes - I use it a lot in tomato-based pasta sauces, and also to make veggie soups and stocks. Celery is one of the ingredients I HAVE to have in the house as I use it so much, it's up there nearly as far as onion and garlic as a must-have.

So I buy celery, use a stick in a stew or bolognaise, then am left with a load that I don't know what to do with, bar make soup (which is getting boring)... What do y'all do with leftover celery? (I'm not a fan of it raw.)

Travel back to the late 80s/early 90s, take it with you to football, sing the celery song and wave it in the air.

Get a jar of Cheez Whiz.

cheez%20whiz-500x500.JPG

Then, use the celery like a spoon to scoop out the Cheez Whiz, and eat the celery and the Cheez Whiz. Do it by yourself, and you can double, triple, quadruple dip, whatever it takes till the celery stalk is gone. Then repeat.

I can stand maybe three celery stalks this way before I have to stop.

I have heard of Cheeze Whiz. However, I don't believe it is readily available in the UK - Possibly because the name makes it sound like a mixture of smegma and spunk :).

In Canada, whiz is another word for piss.

But, we still eat Cheez Whiz with gusto. You'd understand if you could taste it.

Also, we grew up eating it, so it's probably something like Fray Bentos or Hob Nobs to you. Ie, a food from childhood.

Not that I know what Fray Bentos are. I've eaten hob nobs.

In Canada, whiz is another word for piss.

It is here too.

But, we still eat Cheez Whiz with gusto. You'd understand if you could taste it.

Also, we grew up eating it, so it's probably something like Fray Bentos or Hob Nobs to you. Ie, a food from childhood.

Not that I know what Fray Bentos are. I've eaten hob nobs.

I'm sure it's great stuff. I shall try to track down a jar of the stuff :).

You can tell what it tastes like from its appearance and it is clearly revolting. Like the supposed cheese in a McDonalds hamburger, only more so.

cheezwhizheader.jpg

Yum.

WHEY, CANOLA OIL, MILK, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, MALTODEXTRIN , SODIUM PHOSPHATE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SALT, LACTIC ACID, SODIUM ALGINATE, MUSTARD FLOUR, WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE (VINEGAR, MOLASSES, CORN SYRUP, WATER, SALT, CARAMEL COLOR, GARLIC POWDER, SUGAR, SPICES, TAMARIND, NATURAL FLAVOR), SORBIC ACID AS A PRESERVATIVE, MILKFAT, CHEESE CULTURE, OLEORESIN PAPRIKA (COLOR), ANNATTO (COLOR), NATURAL FLAVOR, ENZYMES.

Canadians are also fond of ersatz onion soup powder. They sprinkle it over food as if it were pepper, they mix it with mayonnaise and use it as a dip, they chop it into lines and snort it through their absurd Canadian banknotes.

It's a reprehensible culture and they are reprehensible people. We should take back our Governor General and leave the bastards to the French.

Get a jar of Cheez Whiz.

cheez%20whiz-500x500.JPG

<snip>
I can stand maybe three celery stalks this way before I have to stop.
Why bother with something which has an ingredient list longer than a ballerina's leg when you can have this instead?
LN_013001_BP_11.jpg

Ingredients: Seriously Strong Cheddar Cheese (53%), Water, Butter, Skimmed Milk Powder, Emulsifying Salts (E339, E452), Preservatives (Potassium Sorbate, Nisin), Colouring (Beta Carotene)

You can braise it and serve it as a vegetable accompaniment. Braised celery is very nice.

Or you can wait until it goes wilty and dance around the kitchen in a fey manner waving it about, pretending you're Morrisey.

Last edited:
You should use it in a mirepoix or soffritto. It's a classic flavour base for stocks, stews and other dishes. Finely chop celery, carrot and onion. There should be as much celery as the other two ingredients together. Fry in butter or olive oil.

Back
Top Bottom