Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Carlton Mansions co-op, Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - history and news

editor

hiraethified
carlton-mansions-brixton.jpg

This may well provide a good test about just how committed the 'co-operative' Lambeth Council are to their pledge to help sustain 'resilient communities.'

Read more here: http://www.urban75.org/blog/brixtons-carlton-mansions-housing-co-op-fights-for-its-future/

There'll be a feature in tomorrow's Bugle too.

Brixton Bugle (the paper version of Brixton Blog is coming out Friday morning. They give it out early outside the Tube station.

Thanks editor for your piece.

I appreciate the help of Ed and Zoe. Zoe spent most of last Saturday with us. She has done profile and piece on the Mansions. Its going to be on front page.

I'm not a great one for publicity but Coops back is against the wall.

I wish them well but fear they'll end up like me and many,many other shortlifers and be scattered around Lambeth,if indeed they are offered suitable rehousing at all.

Ed has made a good point about the Council's opportunity to demonstrate their commitment to supporting resilient communities on this one. Certainly all - all - residents of Carlton Mansions could be reassured their continued contrition to the Borough will be maintained, and that they will not be threatened with homelessness.

Bear in mind that as a result of the 2011 Housing Commission report, one of the agreed recommendations was to do all it could to retain at least a dozen properties for exactly the type of thing the CM Coop already does.

Is there an electronic copy of this fire certificate? I'd be happy to take a semi-professional look at it and see howun/reasonable it is.

Thanks Crispy will bear this in mind. We have had some advice on it to try and counter Councils argument that it means we should leave.

To be clear this was initiated by officers without referring the issue to Cllrs first. The Cllrs knew about it the same time as the Mansions did.

what exactly are the fire safety issues quoted?

my dad lectures fire safety law, I could get him to have a look at whatever they sent.

Regarding lack of "compartmentalisation". Many converted properties have this problem and are not emptied of residents. Most converted houses have wooden floors and few, if any, fire doors. This problem is overcome by fire safety systems - smoke and heat detectors and alarms (all interconnected). That way - despite the lack of "compartmentalisation" the bulding is still safe because a highly sensitised fire alarm system allows enough escape time.

It's bad news but is it temporary?

No. Council want building emptied. Then left empty until the Somerleyton theatre scheme goes ahead. ie the Theatre. Which would be not for another two years.

Coop had told the Council they would not hold up the scheme and would agree to move when the building is needed for the new development on Somerleyton road.

Where's the petition, or are you waiting to confirm that they don't have a leg to stand on about this fire thing?

If this fire issue doesn't hold water, then this would surely be an illegal eviction wouldn't it?

obviously I've not seen the letter or the terms of your contract with the council, but assuming that is the case, then I'd expect you could take out some sort of legal holding action against the council eviction until the fire safety situation is resolved one way or the other.

No. Council want building emptied. Then left empty until the Somerleyton theatre scheme goes ahead. ie the Theatre. Which would be not for another two years.

Coop had told the Council they would not hold up the scheme and would agree to move when the building is needed for the new development on Somerleyton road.

Why do they want it vacant two years early? Convenience and certainty I suppose.

Which is a situation that Ovalhouse found positive and helpful.
Very upsetting position for the residents.
And no advantage to the progress of the development, but this has come from housing, not regen.
I really hope something can be sorted out.
Sorry, posting from my phone so brief.

I understand there is a court hearing tomorrow morning - I don't know any more details. Can't believe this is happening so quickly.

Good luck all.

Please can people write to their Councillors about this. We have received the request this afternoon to attend court tomorrow morning. We have had no time to prepare and they have had a limited communication with us.

Back
Top Bottom