Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff Crossrail and Valley electrification proposals

ddraig

kicking against the pricks...
what do people think of this crossrail 'proposal'
obviously any more train stations and lines along with trams would be really good and i'd say it is already needed never mind if all the house building happens.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-20875901
trying to find a bigger version of the map

map-of-how-a-cardiff-crossrail-could-look-200102226.JPG

a stop at Crwys rd would be good
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/busine...crossrail-transport-network-91466-32526982/2/

what do people think of this crossrail 'proposal'
obviously any more train stations and lines along with trams would be really good and i'd say it is already needed never mind if all the house building happens.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-20875901
trying to find a bigger version of the map

map-of-how-a-cardiff-crossrail-could-look-200102226.JPG

a stop at Crwys rd would be good
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/busine...crossrail-transport-network-91466-32526982/2/
That extension to the coryton line would suit me very well for work.

If it was me ...I would do a loop of a tram system from the centre through to Queens down to the docks , over the barrier to Penarth , then up via Ikea and retail ....then on past the pump house and Ninian .... past the millennium back to the centre ...... jobs a good un ! ...St fagans needs a spur from the centre too

Rhoose airport needs a dual carriageway to Culverhouse and a direct spur train or tram into the airport , its a joke having the stop off in the village and calling it the airport halt !
....Its going to get mad with all these 40,000 houses in 8 years around Cardiff .....

£16 bloody quid to park all day in the centre ..what ?

That crossrail needs to go through Caerphilly......

Any infrastructure spend has to be good

They've been discussing reopening the line west of Coryton for decades. I think it makes a lot of sense if it was made into a circular rail link to loop around at Radyr.

Here's a bigger map:

del.jpg

From someone who doesn't know Cardiff very well at all, here's my gut reaction :

Details/quibbles aside (reserved for Cardiff people :D ), this all looks like an excellent project :)

Probably why the rapid transit extensions are going in ....45,000 new build houses in the coming decade
future-development-areas-proposed-in-cardiff-927572663.jpg

cardiff-local-development-plan-338885544.jpg

Cardiffs set to boom

That'd be good. It'd mean Cardiff people could visit Blackwood more easily. Trainers from Bolwells n'all that

It'll be good for the valleys. Put in good transport links and it'll look like a more attractive place to work and live.

It'll be good for the valleys. Put in good transport links and it'll look like a more attractive place to work and live.

Cefn Fforest here we come! Yippee:):):):):) The only thing that bothers me is they should have routed the Gwent valley (yes Gwent not fucking caerphilly:mad:) line through Casnewydd as the Port is really suffering (so I am told)

This looks entirely sensible - unlike the obviously pie-in-the-sky ULTra pod thingys that the council spunked thousands on the preliminary work for (they were bleating on about them from when I moved to Cardiff in '99, until when I left in '07) that were clearly never going to see the light of day.

I loved the look of those pod things. I could imagine drunken folks dancing on the top of them heading off to the Bay on a Saturday night :D

Cardiff is not the place you want to trial driverless mini-pods that shuttle people around the city all night with no supervision! Jesus, can you imagine what would arrive as you call a pod to pick you up and take you to your Sunday morning job at 6am?

Cardiff is not the place you want to trial driverless mini-pods that shuttle people around the city all night with no supervision! Jesus, can you imagine what would arrive as you call a pod to pick you up and take you to your Sunday morning job at 6am?
I'd imagine a pod filled with beer cans and used condoms with a couple asleep on the floor from the night before. Classy, like.

This looks entirely sensible - unlike the obviously pie-in-the-sky ULTra pod thingys that the council spunked thousands on the preliminary work for (they were bleating on about them from when I moved to Cardiff in '99, until when I left in '07) that were clearly never going to see the light of day.

Up and running successfully at Heathrow

But yeah, stupid idea for a city center :D

Up and running successfully at Heathrow

But yeah, stupid idea for a city center :D

It's probably a good idea for, say getting people from Heathrow into Central London as they arrive in dribs and drabs. A 30 stop-network spanning the central part of Cardiff though always sounded like total pie in the sky!

It's probably a good idea for, say getting people from Heathrow into Central London as they arrive in dribs and drabs
Nah, for that it's useless. Top speed of 25kmh, and totally incapable of swallowing a jet plane full of passengers as they swarm out of arrivals. It's designed for low density areas with sporadic use. Would work very well in american suburbia.

The Coryton extension is through a couple of nature reserve areas, so would need to take account of that - but generally would be 'a good thing'.

UK built Hitachi's for the great western electrification

I'm really going to miss the class 43 125's .............3 decades or more of happy memories

The first class 800 series trains will enter revenue-earning service on the Great Western Main Line in 2017 and on the East Coast Main Line in 2018. We expect the second batch of new class 800 series vehicles to be in service on the East Coast from 2019.
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/intercity-express-programme

Back
Top Bottom