Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cardiff City close season news and rumours: rebranding of the stadium, strip change

editor

hiraethified
Seems like utter tosh/total madness to me, but several people have now mentioned this insane idea that we're going to start playing in red, supposedly to help us garner more support in the Far East. Bollocks, surely?

Elsewhere, there's big changes afoot at the ground:
Cardiff City Football Club can confirm that following positive negotiations and in the best interests of all concerned, an agreement has been reached to allow Cardiff Blues to terminate their lease at Cardiff City Stadium on 1 June 2012.

This will see Cardiff Blues' move back to Cardiff Arms Park over the summer in readiness for the 2012/13 football season, and will allow significant branding to take place at Cardiff City Stadium during the same time as it now becomes home solely to the football club.

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10335~2763805,00.html

When I first heard this rumour I thought it was a pile of wank, yet a lot of City fans who I know and respect are saying it might not be total bullshit. We are the Bluebirds, I'd rather play in league 2 and stay that way than become some marketing ploy for some Far East investor. Heritage is far more important than the success the extra investment could bring. Fuck the Premier League and all its corporate bollocks. If this happens then I'm giving up on football.

I can't see it being as stark a choice as red kit plus investment, or stay in blue with no investment. If we kick up a fuss and show them how angry we are, surely they'll back down? Especially if we can get some press on our side, along with the supporter's federation. It doesn't make sense that they'll piss off the entire fanbase like this, the Asian market wont want to support a team that plays in an empty stadium. And outside of Real, Barca and Man Utd I don't see much room for Cardiff to make a dent in the Asian market share.

What is the big attraction of a RED kit ? Man City and Chelsea seem to do OK in blue , the Red years are behind us , dwindling Arsenal fortunes , Liverpool fucked and Man Utd past their best .

As if Asia wants to support Cardiff City.

They've got enough problems without hitching themselves to our shambolic charabanc of misery doom and failure

Modern football is fucking stupid

What is the big attraction of a RED kit ? Man City and Chelsea seem to do OK in blue , the Red years are behind us , dwindling Arsenal fortunes , Liverpool fucked and Man Utd past their best .
I don't know if this is the reason, but red is a very popular country in the East, seen as lucky I believe.

I really can't see this happening and until I see something written down I'm going to assume it's an elaborate wind up or the result of Chinese - or perhaps Malaysian - whispers.

Oh dear. And here it is, written down:

Cardiff City could rebrand from blue to red
Cardiff City are considering a rebranding which could mean a change of colour and a significant cash injection, BBC Wales Sport understands.
This may involve the team playing in red instead of their traditional blue.

The club's Malaysian investors believe red is a more dynamic colour for marketing in Asia, as well as of more national significance in Wales.

No final decisions have been taken, but the owners are keen to put more money at manager Malky Mackay's disposal.

Mackay had to almost rebuild his squad from scratch when he took over last summer following the sacking of Dave Jones.

Despite the early-season disruption, Cardiff managed to reach the Carling Cup final and the Championship play-off semi-finals before losing to West Ham.

The Welsh club's main investor, Vincent Tan, is also understood to be keen to develop the club's training facilities.

While the shirts and club badge could change colour, Cardiff City sources categorically deny that the club - whose nickname is "the Bluebirds" - will become known as "the 'Red Dragons''.

Club officials are meeting fans representatives on Tuesday night to discuss the rebranding.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17996534

the "full story"
Walesonline said:
Many Bluebirds fans have understandably reacted with anger to the news that almost 100 years of tradition is to be dispensed with as the club changes colour.
But the Malaysian owners believe the new red strip, coupled with the emblem of the dragon, will bring “fusion of cultures” for the club between the Far East and Wales.
Red is the national colour of Malaysia, as well as Wales in sporting terms. The dragon is also viewed as an important symbol of Malaysia, as well as Wales.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/footba...r-new-red-kit-and-club-emblem-91466-30926656/

more money and new facilities too apparently

ffs might as well move yourself to Milton Keynes or summink :(

I hope the Cardiff fans organise to protest against these moves.

FFS: look at the conditions being imposed for the investment:
  • From next season Cardiff City will play in red shirts, black shorts and red socks with a blue away kit.
  • The Bluebirds badge will be changed to that of a dragon.
  • But the name will remain as Cardiff City Football Club.
I'd rather play in the Fourth Division as the Bluebirds than go into the Premiership as the fucking Dragons.

I'd rather play in the Fourth Division as the Bluebirds than go into the Premiership as the fucking Dragons.

Indeed. Don't trust them with the investment either, why would they throw £100 million at us? Not gonna see much of a return on that. It'll be loaned off a third party or summat just like Hamman did.

Back
Top Bottom