Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Can a return of the death penalty be far behind?

T & P

|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
With the EU's death penalty ban for member states out of the way when Brexit is finalised, how long before motions to bring back the death penalty are tabled? At the end of the day many of the cunts who've campaigned or voted to leave are the kind of cunts who would like nothing more to reintroduce it.

Fucking grim times ahead :(

I thought we were voting over whether to stay in the EU or not? Not having brain transplants.

Really? Death penalty? Euromillions? Fucking hell :facepalm: :D

Like the discussion I had today with someone 'distraught over the news' who thought every decent law from holiday entitlement and workers rights to LGBT rights only existed because of the EU!

(I think it was Butchers that said Capitalism or Barbarism!).

With the EU's death penalty ban for member states out of the way when Brexit is finalised, how long before motions to bring back the death penalty are tabled? At the end of the day many of the cunts who've campaigned or voted to leave are the kind of cunts who would like nothing more to reintroduce it.

Fucking grim times ahead :(

What a load of tosh. We abolished the death penalty back in1964 nearly a decade before we joined the EEC. Meanwhile France a founder member was still guillotining folk in the late 1970's.

I don't relish the inevitable problems this is going to cause, but it's not the end of civilisation as we know it.

Isn't Calling those who voted differently from you cunts itself rather bigoted?

I thought we were voting over whether to stay in the EU or not? Not having brain transplants.

Like the discussion I had today with someone 'distraught over the news' who thought every decent law from holiday entitlement and workers rights to LGBT rights only existed because of the EU!

It's not exactly a secret that the likes of UKIP, many right-wing commentators and indeed a number of Tory MPs are in favour of the death penalty being reintroduced. EU membership rules prevent that. Do you really think it's far fetched to suggest once there are no legal impediments the right wing press and pro-death penalty politicians will lobby to have it reinstated?

It's not exactly a secret that the likes of UKIP, many right-wing commentators and indeed a number of Tory MPs are in favour of the death penalty being reintroduced. EU membership rules prevent that. Do you really think it's far fetched to suggest once there are no legal impediments the right wing press and pro-death penalty politicians will lobby to have it reinstated?
In the spirit of boris's water cannon pledge only if it can be tested on eg Nigel farage first

dunno really.

if the UK (or what's left of it) goes down the EEA path or whatever it is that still involved free movement of people, I can't help thinking that a proportion of voters will be mightily pissed off.

And wonder just what the politicians will do to try and keep them happy...

Membership of the EU didn't prevent it being debated in 1998 in parliament.

Also, as far as I'm aware (no expert), this stuff is governed by the European Convention on Human Rights, which is a Council of Europe thing, not a EU thing.

Last edited:
dunno really.

if the UK (or what's left of it) goes down the EEA path or whatever it is that still involved free movement of people, I can't help thinking that a proportion of voters will be mightily pissed off.

Bread and circuses traditional

What a load of tosh. We abolished the death penalty back in1964 nearly a decade before we joined the EEC. Meanwhile France a founder member was still guillotining folk in the late 1970's.

I don't relish the inevitable problems this is going to cause, but it's not the end of civilisation as we know it.

Isn't Calling those who voted differently from you cunts itself rather bigoted?
Unfortunately the sentiment held in the 1960s has little bearing today. And today some of the political commentators and one of the parties who fully backed Brexit have stated in the past they would consider or like to see it reinstated. See UKIP's 2015 manifesto.

Regarding the 'cunts' comments in my opening post, for the sake of clarity I do not think all or indeed most of the people who voted to leave are one (though a disturbing percentage undoubtedly are). So please nobody take offence as I'm actually not suggesting they or their loved ones are. I'm just letting off some steam as I've never been so angry and upset about anything in my life.

Anger is an energy, don't waste it on this dead-end. There have always been hang-em and flog-em brigade members on the tory backbenches. They will feel emboldened right now but that doesn't mean their policy fantasies are terribly likely to materialise.

Membership of the EU didn't prevent it being debated in 1998 in parliament.

Also, as far as I'm aware (no expert), this stuff is governed by the European Convention on Human Rights, which is a Council of Europe thing, not a EU thing.
Didn't know that. Though I seem to remember reading a while ago that Turkey would have no chance of joining the EU if it had an active death penalty legislation in place.

dunno really.

You strike me as a reactionary who has a contempt for the intelligence of the electorate. Do you really believe that the British can be so easily bought off with facile populist gestures?

Didn't know that. Though I seem to remember reading a while ago that Turkey would have no chance of joining the EU if it had an active death penalty legislation in place.

I expect there is an overlap and the EU still has some relevance on this policy issue like most others. But the Council of Europe stuff is rarely discussed in the press properly and I haven yet seem much discussion of how our relationship with that particular european institution may change in light of the EU stuff.

I can understand the fear that the EU was some kind of restraining force against the worst machinations of tories etc in this country, and now that buffer will fade out.

There is much I could say about that but I'm running out of energy. So I'll just point out that the EU didn't save us from the Poll Tax, and people found other ways to thwart the swine on that one.

Reactions: tim

There exists even within the EU now the right for the press, the Far-Right, the likes of the late Bob Crow or anyone who so desires to lobby for it's reintroduction. That's something to do withthe right of free speech. That doesn't mean it's ever going to happen even in our rather distant post-EU future.

See UKIP's 2015 manifesto.
Was the deaht penatly in their manifesto?

*google

Kind of Ukip manifesto 2015 - the key points
Political reform
• Hold a national referendum every two years on the issues of greatest importance to the public, gathered via an approved petition, provided it has 2m signatures.

RM: Farage has several times said he would be up for giving people the chance to vote on reinstating the death penalty if enough people demanded a referendum, even though he is personally opposed to the policy.

Hah. Never forget, it was meant to be the leave campaign fuelled by scaremongering and vitriolic rhetoric.

Meanwhile France a founder member was still guillotining folk in the late 1970's.

Fuck. Thanks, IDNKT.

Back
Top Bottom