Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton steam train alert and rail related chat

It's the UK leg of the Orient Express (we're supposed to call it the "British Pullman" now), goes to Folkestone where the passengers transfer across the channel to the continental Orient Express train which takes them on to Venice.

It also does day trips out of Victoria. Comes through Brixton once or twice most weeks.

I spotted a steam train heading through Herne Hill this morning at 10ish. I was outside the Blackbird so saw the smoke only and heard the whistle.

If anyone is interested, there'll be one in about an hour from now; about 0950. It will have two black 5s on the front.

Any more steamies coming through Herne Hill teuchter ? My boy is nearly three now and obsessed with Thomas and Friends.

Smick
Tomorrow (Weds 14th) there'll be one passing through Brixton at around 1044. Most likely on the high level line. Not through Herne Hill but Denmark Hill.

If you are in Herne Hill... you could take the short trip one stop down the line to Loughborough Junction. From the platform at Loughborough Junction, looking south you have a good view of the railway viaduct which carries the main line across the Thameslink line and you would be able see the steam train going across that viaduct. It's supposed to be sunny tomorrow.

Coming up:

Saturday, 18th Nov 2017
A note that a steam train will be looping around South London today - something to watch from the sidelines.

Departure will be from London Victoria, taking a route via Clapham Junction, Staines, and Virginia Water.

The rostered locomotive for this trip is the Merchant Navy Pacific 35028 ‘Clan Line’.

Times passing through stations:

Outbound

10:12 - London Victoria
10:29 - Clapham Junction
10:44 - Richmond
11:03 - Staines

Return

16:14 - Staines
16:31 - Richmond
16:43 - Clapham Junction
17:01 - London Victoria

NB. for anyone reading this thread: trains from victoria routed via clapham junction don't come anywhere near Brixton.

NB. for anyone reading this thread: trains from victoria routed via clapham junction don't come anywhere near Brixton.

They do if they are going via a very indirect route (using the curve between Tulse Hill and Streatham Hill normally used only for the Parliamentary train) to then be able to get onto the West London Line at Clapham Junction - as appears to have happened yesterday when I was astonished to see a steam train heading east across Tooting Common that had come through Brixton fifteen minutes earlier.
Pullman via Streatham Hill.PNG
t1208a.htm

Back
Top Bottom