Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Splash continues to airbrush its founder from history

I was doing First Aid at the European No-Car Day on CHL and Pat was so pleased with the event as something everyone in Brixton enjoyed and came up with the idea that day as having a sort of annual Brixton Festival. He then got the ball rolling.

I have to admit I was initially sceptical that it would ever be allowed to happen because it would involve closing CHL.

I've written a piece about how Pat Clark - the guy who came up with the idea of Splash - is still being airbrushed from its history:

http://www.urban75.org/blog/brixton...airbrush-its-founder-from-the-events-history/

Blacker is described on the front of today's SLP as the co-founder, so at least he's not trying to claim all the credit. I still feel Pat deserves a mention on the Splash website, though. There's no doubt that he came up with the idea and worked hard to bring it to fruition.

I don't think so. As I mentioned on another thread, it means he can't even mention it on his CV or it makes him look like a liar, which he most certainly is not.

I don't think so. As I mentioned on another thread, it means he can't even mention it on his CV or it makes him look like a liar, which he most certainly is not.

I never thought of it that way but see where you're coming from. It's a truly fantastic event, up there with the Country Show in my affections.

Because Pat's job does move him around it's an important thing to be able to mention in CVs. He's never been a egotist, this isn't about bigging himself up, it's about being able to demonstrate on his CV what his experience is.

In no way I am trying to downplay Ros and Blacker's involvement, commitment and sheer bloody hard work. They do loads for Brixton. I don't know Blacker personally, although I know him to have done loads for the area, but I know Ros and have huge respect for what she's done for Brixton, especially in terms of getting young people into employment.

Pat's job means, much as he'd love to have permanent roots in Brixton, his job moves him around every few years (he was 'parachuted' into a Brixton Pub from Aldershot by the brewery). Because he's not someone who has been involved in Splash year after year after year doesn't mean that his contribution should be denied. Especially from the point of view of his CV. It could be the difference between getting a job, or passed over.

Btw, Pat's inspiration for the day came after the Brixton Car Free Day in 2000/2001 which saw Coldharbour Lane being closed for the day.

18.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/brixton/photos/18.html

Video (blimey, it's like a different world)

Have Blacker or Ros been approached for their opinions? A statement in support would help, I'd think. Not that it should be needed.

It's a real shame but save people turning up in Pat masks on the day I'm not sure you're going to see much movement on this.

Unfortunately because he's quite self-effacing he doesn't push himself forward for photographs so the mask idea has fallen at the first hurdle. Perhaps just as well, he'd probably be hugely embarrassed.

My blog article has already been read by hundreds of people, and at least Pat can now finally include Brixton Splash on his CV.

Unless those 'hundreds' of people can change the BS website or actively contact BS to get them to change it makes no real difference in terms of the main aim of getting his name on the website. Have you considered asking your readers to email BS demanding answers?

Unfortunately because he's quite self-effacing he doesn't push himself forward for photographs so the mask idea has fallen at the first hurdle. Perhaps just as well, he'd probably be hugely embarrassed.

Then the next idea is a campaign to gets people to email BS demanding answers. Writing a blog an patting yourself on the back isn't good enough if you're serious about getting Pat's name as a founder on the BS website.

...and there is dated evidence of his original idea, so it's not something that is their word against anyone else's.

Following internal discussions it has been agreed that we will not name anyone on our history page bar from Blacka who continues to be heavily involved in the event. This is simply because we owe a debt to too many people in the area to name check them all our page has been updated.​

Is their comma not working?

Writing a blog an patting yourself on the back isn't good enough if you're serious about getting Pat's name as a founder on the BS website.
Who's "patting themselves on the back"? :confused:

For the record, I've written to BS several times and I've also got it into the local press next week. More importantly, Pat can now include it in his CV without people questioning his integrity.

Plus there were a load of school groups there and Brixton Cycles had to detour a kids race round Rushcroft Road till the police made her get dressed or the teachers were going to take them all back to school.

Back
Top Bottom