Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Splash 2011

tarannau

Mongolian eyed
Well, they've done a cracking job with the promotion again, but Brixton Splash is nearly upon us. 12-7 this Sunday people. Strangely enough I've seen one solitary poster for the event, on a Vauxhall bus stop of all places.

Still, it turned out mighty fine last year. Sunshine and pounding bass from a variety of sound system. Katy B apparently headlined then, not that anybody knew about it. Thankfully the people manning the rigs seem to be a cut above the shoddy organisation

It was typically Brixton last year fwiw. That is, it only really got busy later in the day. But it did get packed in the streets late on, maybe as the word of good weather and loud music got around.

I've heard that there's been some personnel changes at the top, and word is that they'll definitely be for the better.

Got a leaflet through my door about which roads will be closed. It was signed Lee Jasper. Didnt realise he was connected with it.

I agree with previous posters it was mainly Sound Systems and didnt really get going until later on.

From website

http://www.brixtonsplash.org/?page_id=135

Brixton Splash is a cultural explosion held annually on the first Sunday of August every year. The successful Street festival has grown each year and in 2010 included one main stage for local talent, 4 street sound systems playing everything from Reggae and Rocksteady to Dubstep and Jungle, and an arts and crafts area in St Matthew’s Peace Garden for the very first time. It truly is an advert for multiculturalism, with something for everyone to enjoy and participate in.

Brixton is an area with a wealth of artistic talent, and when you visit the event there is every chance that the people you see on stage will go on to become the next big thing. For example, in 2010, Katy B headlined the event performing with the Illersapiens. She went onto be one of 2010′ biggest hits, releasing two singles in the UK top ten, ‘Katy on a mission’ featuring Benga, and ‘Lights Out’ featuring Ms Dynamite.

Brixton Splash Vision

View pageThe vision of Brixton Splash is to:

‘Create an annual event clearly demonstrating that Brixton has moved on beyond the 25 years after the Brixton disorders’

Brixton Splash Aims

1. Present a business case for diversity
2. Promote the vibrant face of Brixton
3. Promote Volunteering opportunities leading to the Olympics 2012 and beyond
4. Create collaborative working partnerships with the local community

Their official website is hopeless. Doesn't tell you anything about what's going on. I'm not convinced that I want to "bruck out to some Brixton vybz" that their Facebook page offers either.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the target demographic anyway so it's no big deal. Will just have to make sure I get anything that needs doing down the hill on saturday rather than sunday.

They've put parking suspension notices all along Rushcroft Road, which is a little ominous. If whatever this "brixton splash" thing is ends up disturbing my usual quiet Sunday afternoon in with Radio 4, there'll be hell to pay!!

No, but I can't get everything I want from Tesco.

I often visit Ms Cupcake, for example, the pound shops are very handy, and I do need to get a new pair of shoes some time in the next few weeks. Iceland often has better offers than Tesco on certain things, the chinese supermarket is useful for bigger packs of herbs etc - plus they stock the real Mountain Dew from the states from time to time. Also the fish shop under the railway station is good although it doesn't open on Saturday - and not forgetting Argos, of course.

No, but I can't get everything I want from Tesco.

I often visit Ms Cupcake, for example, the pound shops are very handy, and I do need to get a new pair of shoes some time in the next few weeks. Iceland often has better offers than Tesco on certain things, the chinese supermarket is useful for bigger packs of herbs etc - plus they stock the real Mountain Dew from the states from time to time. Also the fish shop under the railway station is good although it doesn't open on Saturday - and not forgetting Argos, of course.

Well, I'm sure it won't be the end of the world if you have to go on Saturday instead of Sunday because a once a year street party causes you problems.

I already said it's not a problem even if it does make access to the cupcake shop difficult. BBC weather implies there may be rain sunday , so I wouldn't want a soggy cupcake anyway.

Seems like the only time of year they get to use those craftily installed power points in Windrush sq. They kind of rise up from the ground.

They've put parking suspension notices all along Rushcroft Road, which is a little ominous. If whatever this "brixton splash" thing is ends up disturbing my usual quiet Sunday afternoon in with Radio 4, there'll be hell to pay!!

My place was vibrating from the sound systems last year, and given their positioning you'll be closer than me. I'd go to the park if you want some peace and quiet :D

:mad:

I bet there will be litter and swearing and all sorts

I will be there so that is guaranteed :cool:

My place was vibrating from the sound systems last year, and given their positioning you'll be closer than me. I'd go to the park if you want some peace and quiet :D
I am writing a preemptive letter of complaint as we speak. I may even resort to emphasising key points in a bold font. I'm contemplating underling too, although that may be a bit excessive.

I am writing a preemptive letter of complaint as we speak. I may even resort to emphasising key points in a bold font. I'm contemplating underling too, although that may be a bit excessive.

Green comic sans will make them take you more seriously. HTH.

Back
Top Bottom