Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Boundary Proposals leaked

when some maps start appearing, I'll post them across from the uselectionatlas forum, (is LiamPreston still about? I don't come on p+p that much and don't know if any other urbs are on there)

I'm in the proposed Brixton one, so that's alright.

(PDF file here: http://orderorder.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/2011_08_23_london_online.pdf ]

It's not all right. It's liable to be the only seat in the area not held by the ConDems. They've taken the three wards that make Vauxhall solid Labour, put them with the wards that make Dulwich and Streatham Labour held marginals. It'll mostly mean a Labour MP in Brixton, Tory's in Streatham and Clapham/Battersea, and a Lib Dem in Vauxhall/Southwark and maybe Dulwich. Masterful gerrymandering on the part of the ConDems.

i read today that karen buck might lose her seat, which would be rubbish tbh. she's a stand out woman mp amongst a shower of dross ime.

Nadine Dorries, the Tory abortion campaigner, loses her Mid Bedfordshire seat.

violin.gif

eta :
the prime minister, whose Witney constituency remains unchanged

:hmm:

from here

It was always thought that the tories would gain most from the changes .i think the parties will be studying it very carefully ,but changes like three strong labour wards being part of i d smiths seat will not cheer the tories

seem to be keen on making a right mess of Sheffield. One seat shared with Rotherham, one with Barnsley (Clegg's seat!), and the three southern/central seats slightly mucked around with.

Clegg's lost a tory part of the seat and gained a tory one from Barnsley. But Labour were a very strong second there, so it's done him no favours.

edit: counted up now, from the 2011 local election results, Clegg would have beaten by 104 votes. Tho the Libs didnt stand in the former Barnsley ward.

got a map of london, its a bit rough on the edges, and the ward results are the ones from 2006

boundarychanges.png

While I have no illusions in parliamentarianism, creating seats that do not take natural and community boundries into account - let alone local authority ones is frankly bonkers.

Esepcially when they will continue (as far as I understand) to make exceptions for places like the Isle of White, and Shetland etc

This redrawing of the electoral boundaries has nothing at all to do with 'fairness' or creating more 'even' constituencies as much as the Tory filth like to tell us. The Tories can't win inner city seats and this pisses them off. It's gerrymandering.

I remember during the AV referendum debate we had here, a few of us here mentioned that this very fiddling around with boundary changes would a) make any AV system effectively pointless and redundant and b) would disadvantage the Lib Dems as well as Labour. No doubt Clegg (who was more than happy to see these boundary changes take place) will now do his "nothing to do with me, guv" act. Once again, Cleggers is entirely clueless when it comes to dealing with Lord Snooty.

(As for how it affects me, it looks - according to the Graun map - my constituency will be merged with Vauxhall)

Broadway Market, London Fields Lido, Lauriston Village, New Picture House Cinema. To be fair, South Hackney gets more and more like Stoke Newington every day.

I see Antony Wells has done his projection of what it will mean overall.

Labour down 18, Liberals 7, Tories 5, and Greens 1.

I've just been having a look at the proposals for Leeds, and I can see the logic they've used, but it bears no relationship to how this city works. The existing boundaries are based fairly well on the way people travel down major arterial routes, but the new boundaries seem to ignore this completely, and just group the areas in clusters of wards that have far less interaction with each other.

Or to put it another way, I can currently travel to any area of my current constituency on one single bus, but to get to half the areas of the new constituency I'd have to get a bus into town, then another bus back out of town. local schools have also traditionally drawn their kids from along these routes, so the existing constituency is far more of a genuine community with stuff in common than the new one.

load of bollocks IMO.

actually, I see what they've done. They've taken the tory bits and added them to more tory bits to create a tory constituency from half of this one and some of harrogate, then tacked some bits of labour constituencies on to some of the remains, and I can't even work out where they've put Otley.

Lib dem watchers note - even without the lib dems imploding, they'd be fucked with these changes, and would loose one of their strongest constituencies in the north.

Watford willl never again have a Labour MP...

...what a bloody carve up...

...what a bloody mess, mind you might have a bit of fun with BNP supporters in South Oxhey :D

KoD

This redrawing of the electoral boundaries has nothing at all to do with 'fairness' or creating more 'even' constituencies as much as the Tory filth like to tell us. The Tories can't win inner city seats and this pisses them off. It's gerrymandering.

Not for the time being.

Coalition relations plummeted on Monday when the Liberal Democrats were accused by Conservatives of double crossing, cynicism, cheating and opportunism as Nick Clegg's peers joined Labour to delay a constituency boundary review that had been likely to gift the Tories 20 extra seats.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jan/14/lib-dems-peers-boundary-review

there's some rumours flying about down here that they are desperately trying to keep the sw happy, cause that is their traditional heartland and they expect to at least keep some seats here.

Back
Top Bottom