Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Berlin photos...

editor

hiraethified
Loved this street market in Berlin

turkish-market-maybachufer-berlin-neukolln-01.jpg

turkish-market-maybachufer-berlin-neukolln-05.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/blog/photo-feature-turkish-market-maybachufer-in-berlin-neukolln-germany/

Add your own photos here!

I know - been wanting to get back for years but something has come-up that means I'm risking it if I book just yet. :mad:

And I'm also swithering between Vienna and New York! :oops:

I know - been wanting to get back for years but something has come-up that means I'm risking it if I book just yet. :mad:

And I'm also swithering between Vienna and New York! :oops:

Vienna is surprisingly cool and affordable (on a par with Berlin). If you decide to train it from Vienna to Berlin make sure you don't end up in the back arse of the Czech Republic with no local currency in your pocket! The train splits with no warning. Or, at least nobody told me.

A few old Berlin photographs from my archive (2003 I think).

berlin01.jpg

berlin02.jpg

berlin03.jpg

berlin04.jpg

berlin05.jpg

Three years since I last visited. Always enjoy it.

Vienna is surprisingly cool and affordable (on a par with Berlin). If you decide to train it from Vienna to Berlin make sure you don't end up in the back arse of the Czech Republic with no local currency in your pocket! The train splits with no warning. Or, at least nobody told me.

Thanks - I was looking at just that earlier (week or so in each) and checking trains. :)

Just back from a great trip to Berlin, my first with kids, to stay with friends who live in the Charlotteburg area (western suburb). We did a bit of city stuff (the excellent but packed DDR museum and cakes in the rotating restaurant in the Fernsehturm) but also did a bit of hanging out in the surrounding countryside, swimming in Terfelssee in Grunewald and further out at Straussee near Strausberg (pics below).

5u8esadu.jpg

yjugu2up.jpg

Also visited Tempelhof and hired bikes.

yqunubyb.jpg

On the last night managed to get some babysitting and went out in Kreuzberg and then Friedrickshain, to a great abandoned rail yard near the Warshauerstrasse S-Bahh (we went here).

:)

would like to go to berlin again sometime

i had a week there during the odd time when e germany was still technically a separate country but just after all concerned had given up on border controls, and the transport authorities were working on re-opening the 'ghost stations' on the underground / s-bahn

:)

would like to go to berlin again sometime

i had a week there during the odd time when e germany was still technically a separate country but just after all concerned had given up on border controls, and the transport authorities were working on re-opening the 'ghost stations' on the underground / s-bahn

Back in 1989 - the Railway Study Association had a visit to Berlin - (preplanned before the wall came down !) , it went ahead anyway and we were very well looked after by the DB and the DR. Got tipped off that the (defunct) Potsdammer Platz was being re-opened that morning , so "gatecrashed" the opening (riding on one of those iconic red and cream 1920's S-Bahn trains , which in true Germanic tradition had been decorated with evergreens and a headboard, - much emotion all round. A band played the "Berliner Luft" , speeches from both Mayors and so on . The station was re-opened with no ticket office , a few signs and a very quick run round with some emulsion paint an a good clean.

How do you add images to posts (without first uploading them to the web else where and then posting that link)?

A few from my many trips there over the last 10 years.

I came quite close to moving to Kreuzberg in 2009/10. I love the place. Going back out in November and cannae wait.

10399315_31291654928_6813_n.jpg
10399877_113160824928_8078742_n.jpg
10399877_113160739928_5045797_n.jpg
10399877_113160709928_3340999_n.jpg
225487_19487874928_8328_n.jpg

Last edited:
So long as they're under 250k, click 'upload file' (bottom right of the reply box) and chose 'show full image' and you're sorted.

Thanks.

Next time you go and are feeling a little brave you have to try and get to Spreepark.

http://unlike.net/berlin/escapism/spreepark

It's an abandoned theme park which you have to jump over a highish fence to get into but fuck me its worth it. I got caught after 30 minutes by a female security guard with 2 massive dogs by her side. After a few "es tut mir leid's" she unlocked a gate and let us out but I got the feeling she had to do it a lot and wasn't too bothered. It was the only Theme Park in the entire DDR I believe. Its about a 30 minute journey east from Kruezberg.

P.S That website (Berlin Unlike) is invaluable for finding things to do away from other tourists.

Nice stuff from mod.

Planterwald is a bit of a gem. The Spree is interesting enough in its own way. Not sure if Planterwald still survives as it was 10 years ago?

Nice stuff from mod.

Planterwald is a bit of a gem. The Spree is interesting enough in its own way. Not sure if Planterwald still survives as it was 10 years ago?

Why thank you. My first photo of badeschiff really evokes strong nostalgia in me of some very, very happy and lazy summer days in Berlin and there specifically. I once swam in there at midnight with my ex whilst Zero 7 where playing a live gig near the bar. Only in berlin.

Back
Top Bottom