Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone know about Yorkshire Relish??

geminisnake

a complex mass of conflicting ideas
Was digging in the front garden earlier and found a Goodall Backhouse & Co yorkshire relish bottle.
Considering it must have been in the garden for a long time it's in fairly good condition.

We've googled it but not come up with much cept it was made in Leeds and sold for 6d, 1s and 2s!! :eek: Also it was the cheapest, best and most delicious relish in the world :D

So what happened to it? And has anyone ever had it? Apparently they even sold 8 million bottles of it in one year.

I'm intrigues and want to know more :cool:

Damn Roadie, I was hoping you would be on of the folk that could maybe tell me more.

I think it ws not in production by the time you were born tbh though.

Yorkshire Relish was sufficienctly lucrative in late Victorian England to be the subject of a court case that went on four three years and eventually reached the House of Lords. It is still cited in Trade Mark cases today!

(Mr Powell was the owner of Goodall Backhouse & Co)

Australian Tax Office legal database! said:
The case of Powell v Birmingham Vinegar Brewery Co ((1894) A.C., 8) does not advance the plaintiffs' case. What was established there both in the Court of Appeal and the House of Lords, and formed the basis of the judgments, was this: that "Yorkshire Relish" was the name of the article itself, and no trader can validly assert an exclusive right to call articles of merchandise by their true names, for that would amount to a virtual monopoly in the sale of the things themselves.

guywarr01x.jpg

original caption on Guy Lorries of Wolverhampton site said:
With an 8 tonner Guy Warrior, Goodall Backhouse of Leeds obviously intended to shift a lot of Yorkshire Relish. Vehicle registration XUB268

I think they were still in business until the 1960s.

I suspect the kick from the relish was the only thing that made cottage pie produced from four day old cooked mutton palatable!

Had me first taste of Henderson's Relish t'other day, me mate Mark's one of Sheffield's finest sons and swears by it, especially when accompanied by his mam's homemade chicken pie! Can't fault it!:oops:

lang rabbie said:
I think they were still in business until the 1960s.

Cheers rabbie. The house was built just over 50 yrs ago and I was wondering if the bottle was here before that, but maybe not.

goodall and backhouse &co ltd established in leeds 1837 according to the bottle i have in front of me. i had a spiecal interest in this firm because my mother who is long since dead told me it was our family company she was a backhouse i have been doing a family tree for years and can find no evidence of it yet but i have got till 1837 to find a link .they produced yorkshire relish thick and thin the bottle i have is for yorkshire relish thick we used to have it into the 1970s it was in the same or very simler bottle as h.p.sauce but although it was a brown sauce it tasted more like daddys than h.p. yorkshire relish thin was a relish in the same vain as hendersons of sheffield it was available in a twin pack with the thick or sold seperately if you have never tasted hendersons then you havent lived and yorkshire relish thin was the same i could not tell them apart hendersons relish flavour crisps by yorkshire crisp co are great .worcester sauce is nothing like,goodall and backhouse were bought out by hammonds sauces and continued to produce yorkshire relish thick not sure about thin stating on the label brewed from an original recipe by goodall and backhouse hammonds im sure could tell you more

Had me first taste of Henderson's Relish t'other day, me mate Mark's one of Sheffield's finest sons and swears by it, especially when accompanied by his mam's homemade chicken pie! Can't fault it!:oops:

I'd never heard of it before I moved to Sheffield, but after 4 years of it being on every table in every pub/cafe - I can't do without it. When the wind is in the right direction I can smell the factory knocking up a new batch from Banner Cross.

Also doesn't contain anchovies (like Lea and Perrins etc), so it's suitable for veggies.

I remember buying Yorkshire Relish (or "YR Sauce") in the 80s in N.Ireland. Oddly enough it was made in Dublin and googling seems to say that it still is:

yr_sauce_cmp_nav_01.jpg

hi , about ten years ago a man called john senior from leeds was pulling down an old mill when in the roof space he found the original hand written recipe for yorhshire relish... along with lots of other amazing documents conected to goodall backhouse & co leeds , dated 1872 0nwards , these items are now up for auction on the 24th of may at gary don auctions leeds

hi , about ten years ago a man called john senior from leeds was pulling down an old mill when in the roof space he found the original hand written recipe for yorhshire relish... along with lots of other amazing documents conected to goodall backhouse & co leeds , dated 1872 0nwards , these items are now up for auction on the 24th of may at gary don auctions leeds
What a great story!

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...to_relish_as_saucy_secrets_revealed_1_3343050

would have loved him to find the original recipe for spam ( always been a favorite in our house ) but alas no friedaweed , and thanks for the comment miss minnie , john is a close friend of mine and he is thrilled with his find ..

I thought Spam was American - "Special Processed American Meat"

Have had Hendersons care of a Yorkhoire mate - good , but prefer Worcestershie Sauce.

I spotted some hendersons in a shop the other day, i meant to buy it when i got some cash but now i've forgotten which shop :oops:

would have loved him to find the original recipe for spam ( always been a favorite in our house ) but alas no friedaweed , and thanks for the comment miss minnie , john is a close friend of mine and he is thrilled with his find ..

Cool are you going to stick around and join the community or just promote John's auction :)
Have a hobnob BTW.

SPAM Selected Porcupine Arse Meat

After discovering an incomplete bottle of Goodall, Backhouse & Co, Yorkshire in a local river, i set about trying to find out as much as possible about it. I have trawled high & low and can conferm that unfortunately the orginal firm est. 1837 in Leeds, that started making Yorkshire Relish in 1853, went to the wall in 1995. The mills & factories were torn down in 2002. But the name lives on as YR produced in Ireland, and sold in Ireland.

Hope that is helpful to you.
Pre 1920's bottles are worth a fair bit of money if they are in good condition. :rolleyes:

I can get it from a garden centre round the corner that sells it in the poncey food hall bit - it's meant to be like a veggie Worcester sauce, but I never get round to trying it.

Was digging in the front garden earlier and found a Goodall Backhouse & Co yorkshire relish bottle.
Considering it must have been in the garden for a long time it's in fairly good condition.

We've googled it but not come up with much cept it was made in Leeds and sold for 6d, 1s and 2s!! :eek: Also it was the cheapest, best and most delicious relish in the world :D

So what happened to it? And has anyone ever had it? Apparently they even sold 8 million bottles of it in one year.

I'm intrigues and want to know more :cool:

I worked at Goodalls from 1963 - 1966. At that time it's parent company was Hammonds Chop in Bradford. They made Yorkshire Relish Thick and Thin also spices and waterglass (preserved eggs). They also sold "Goodalls of Ireland", same stuff, different label. I found your site because I am trying t find the son of one of the managing directors - Chris Hawley. I moved to America in 1966 and was still able to buy the sauce at "Foods of all Nations" but then those stores closed down .
The thick was my favourite. I worked in the "works office" but spent a lot of time in the factory, I can still remember the smell of the vats and watching the girls at the labelling machine. I hope this helps.

I didn't realise Urban had a Northern forum, just found it by accident!

Henderson's relish is the sauce of the Gods. It works in literally anything - pies, stew, on your chips, and like (the clearly inferior) Worcester sauce can even be used in drinks. It would probably even work in puddings too.

The Hendo's factory in Sheffield is so popular that when some students nicked the sign there was a popular outcry. So long as Wednesday are losing, United are doing even worse and Hendo's is being manufactured, the good people of Sheffield know that the natural order of things is being maintained (in recent years the footballing order has been upset, but this will hopefully be put right now that Wednesday have been promoted to a division in which they will lose more than they win and united will, after failing in the playoffs, be a division below us).

Hendo's is so nice that whenever anyone in my family visits our Irish relatives they smuggle some over in their suitcase. This has become a (not particularly funny) family joke, where it's talked about as if we're smuggling cocaine over the border.

I rember my mother and grandmother used to buy Yorkshire Relish but the name on the bottle was HAMMONDS, i used to live in Lanchire now i am downe soulth and i have never seen any of it on sale hear, if anybody know's where i could get some from or if Evedale Foods Ltd; New Mill St, Littleborough Llanchire, who used to make it I would be very gratefull.

Back
Top Bottom