Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Antic (Dogstar owners) opening Effra Social, a new family pub next to Hootananny

Not a Pleb

Application here.

The company that runs the Dogstar and dozens of other South London pubs is to open a new venue at 89 Effra Road (next door but one from the Hootananny).

We might as well just turn Brixton into one large pub.:mad:

Faith Boardman (former chief executive of Lambeth Council and now an advisor to the Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime) explained to the Mayor of London on Monday how disappointed she was with the way crime is increasing in Lambeth when compared with Southwark. The deputy Mayor thinks it's due to differences in Licensing, among other things.

Webcast here. She starts talking at about 22 minutes.

We were worried about all the pubs closing a while back. You won't hear this place over the Hoot but a lot more people/rubbish about.

Conservative Club. A massive sprawling tardis that even had a few snooker tables at the back in a 'smaller' room iirc.

tarannau said:
Conservative Club. A massive sprawling tardis that even had a few snooker tables at the back in a 'smaller' room iirc.

That looks like an abandoned building playing host to an abandoned graffiti covered old van. It will be a sorry loss to the area.

Weird place. People occasionally used to talk excitedly about the venue - random taxi drivers used to retell debauched tales in the sprawling maze of rooms back in the day - but few ever visited or even saw anyone enter. It was like the WIlly Wonka factory of Brixton, albeit with the oompah loompahs on the outside usually.

Still, I guess advertising a Conservative club in Brixton was always unlikely in recent years, but word of mouth clearly failed those popular tories.

There was some kind party thing going on near the hoot the other night. Am now assuming it must have been in the old conservative club.

Maybe it got cracked already :)

That's going to kick off a ton of protests from locals no?

Or is it wonderfully soundproofed? It is set a fair way back from the road and fabulously poised to entice the queues at Hootananny.

Pubs seem to be going the same way as supermarkets. Lots of smaller/independent operations close down, especially those in residential areas and/or slightly out of the town centre (Loughborough Hotel, Paulet Arms, Prince of Sardinia, George IV, Angel, Warrior, Green Man, Sun & Doves etc etc) and then a few years later the big boys move in (Pub Co's - the only ones with enough investment to make it work) and repopulate the empty properties. Whether we actually get a better or more diverse range of pubs in the longer term is questionable.

Pubs seem to be going the same way as supermarkets. Lots of smaller/independent operations close down, especially those in residential areas and/or slightly out of the town centre (Loughborough Hotel, Paulet Arms, Prince of Sardinia, George IV, Angel, Warrior, Green Man, Sun & Doves etc etc) and then a few years later the big boys move in (Pub Co's - the only ones with enough investment to make it work) and repopulate the empty properties. Whether we actually get a better or more diverse range of pubs in the longer term is questionable.
Pubs are more diverse than coffee shops.

I'm all for a new boozer over a new coffee shop, yessirree. We've lost so many local pubs over the past 15 years it's good that the balance is being redressed slightly.

I do worry a bit however that Brixton on a Saturday night is getting more like Clapham High Street on a Saturday night. Have you ever seen Clapham at night? Fucking rammed with 20somethings puking on the pavement, broken glass all over the place, fighting, people staggering into the road in front of cars etc etc.... As long as we don't get to that, I'm happy with more pubs in Brixton.

I'm all for a new boozer over a new coffee shop, yessirree. We've lost so many local pubs over the past 15 years it's good that the balance is being redressed slightly.

I do worry a bit however that Brixton on a Saturday night is getting more like Clapham High Street on a Saturday night. Have you ever seen Clapham at night? Fucking rammed with 20somethings puking on the pavement, broken glass all over the place, fighting, people staggering into the road in front of cars etc etc.... As long as we don't get to that, I'm happy with more pubs in Brixton.
I think this scenario is quite likely. Lambeth does not appear to have a plan to avoid it.

There is definitely increasing drunken ladishness afoot of a Saturday night but newer bars like Kaff, Craft Bar and the Crown aren't part of that at least.

They are also opening one in old Babalou / Bah Humbug, I believe.
Interesting. I understand the trustees of St Matthews are desperate for tenants. They've been advertising Mass/the offices etc for events, conferences and meeting rooms etc.

Antic/Dogstar owners have also taken over the Sun and Doves. Saw a load of builders there this morning and asked them.

There is definitely increasing drunken ladishness afoot of a Saturday night but newer bars like Kaff, Craft Bar and the Crown aren't part of that at least.

In the last 18 months or so I've been woken up on Friday/Saturday nights by more fights/drunken screaming matches etc than I ever have been in all the time I've lived here. It really is starting to happen. And a lot of people who don't live in the area have no idea that people live in the centre (although they do by the time I've had words :oops: :D). Although tbf at least once it's been someone I know making a racket :D

Am I right in thinking that Antic are also the new oweners (with refused planning permission) of the Harmony Bar?

That's an awful lot of old Brixton pubs being brought back to life. I feel like I ought to be more pleased about that than I actually am.

Am I right in thinking that Antic are also the new oweners (with refused planning permission) of the Harmony Bar?
Yes I think you're right - Gramsci (?) should be able to confirm as I think he was following the planning/licensing issues.

Back
Top Bottom