Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Angel, Coldharbour Lane Brixton: Brick Box applies for 7 day, 8am-5am alcohol/music/dance licence

editor

hiraethified
Something has finally been put up in the blacked out windows of the old Angel pub on Coldharbour Lane, in the shape of an application for the granting of a premises licence.

For those who don't know, the old pub has now been taken over by "arts organisation, cafe & bar, theatre & a skills share emporium" Brick Box who - in their own words - like to draw their inspiration from "where the street drinkers hang out; where the bins are kept."

Seeing as the venue faces directly onto family housing, I suspect some locals may be interested in their application for a 7 day, 8am-5am licence.

del.gif

How can it be less? The place has been unoccupied for ages. Very loud rats?
Even when it was open as a pub, I never once had any cause to complain. They might have one very, very occasional late night (usually for a wake/wedding) but most of the time the place was as good as silent. I rather miss it.

So is the plan to get rid of Brick Box then?
Err, this is a Brixton news forum and I've simply just posted up their license application because:

(a) It's Brixton related news
(b) I think it might be of interest to local residents and some readers here
(c) The documents are rather hard to spot

There are no "plans" to "get rid" of Brick Box that I know of, although once again I can only express my disappointment in what appears to be their wilful lack of engagement with the local community - and they are, after all, the very people who may be affected by their late night events and parties.

It's saying the pub was previously a pub, as far as I can see. Pretty easy to understand, really.
It's saying that by keeping much, much longer hours and putting on bands, busy events and DJs throughout the week they're somehow going to end up making less noise than a pub that opened infrequently and kept very limited hours.

I'm guessing that you don't actually know much about the old pub because if you did you might understand why their claim is raising eyebrows.

But if you don't want to take my word for it, ask Mrs M and I'm sure she'll put you straight.

They're chancing their arm re the license and applying for the maximum possible. There's pretty much no way they would get that. But to be sure immediately local residents are going to have to object and list what the previous situation is and what the impact the one they're applying for would be.

Agreed with Nipsla re; the likelihood of the license being approved.

Also would a supper club at 5 in the morning be better known as a breakfast club?

They're chancing their arm re the license and applying for the maximum possible. There's pretty much no way they would get that. But to be sure immediately local residents are going to have to object and list what the previous situation is and what the impact the one they're applying for would be.
The notice is really, really easy to miss, that's why I thought I should post it up here.

The notice is really, really easy to miss, that's why I thought I should post it up here.

Definitely right to do so so people are aware. I suspect even with no objections they have no chance of getting those hours, but you never know with Lambeth!

Definitely right to do so so people are aware. I suspect even with no objections they have no chance of getting those hours, but you never know with Lambeth!

Possibly 2 or 3am latest I reckon, but like you say, it is Lambeth!

Possibly 2 or 3am latest I reckon, but like you say, it is Lambeth!

Yep and even then probably only Fri/Sat at most. It's also dead close to loads of residential, and the council have a policy of wanting to keep most of the late late venues right in the very centre so they can be policed/managed and where there's also not quite so much residential (although some). Even the Dogstar doesn't have those hours! But I would never make the assumption that they definitely wouldn't give it - Lambeth are too full of surprises :D

its the 8am bit i am baffled by. are pubs usually licensed from that time?

or are they doing an early morning drop in for the street drinkers

its the 8am bit i am baffled by. are pubs usually licensed from that time?

or are they doing an early morning drop in for the street drinkers

Well the Beehive and other pubs are allowed to open early if they're serving breakfast, but not that early. Maybe if they're serving breakfast, but not alcohol until a certain hour...

Beehive serves alcohol at 9am, so I've heard... apparently... according to my sauces etc
tumblr_low7rldARv1qhr40c.jpg
hphot_sauce.jpg

Back
Top Bottom