Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone remember the Hop Poles pub, 60 Upper Tulse Hill London SW2?

editor

hiraethified
Sadly it's now going to join the 'Lost Pubs of Brixton' section here, but I was wondering if anyone had any anecdotes or memories of the pub (good or bad) I could add to the feature?

DSC02266.jpg

This was part of our First Night in Brixton (ish) pub crawl. We lived right on the corner of Brixton Hill and Streatham. The Crown and Sceptre was a good starting point. Then the Hand in Heart, New Park Road - bottles of Pils for £1. Thern the King of Sardina (?) just off Upper Tulse Hill, and then the Hop Poles. The latter wasn't very welcoming...

Finally finished off at the Irish pub back towards the top of Brixton Hill. Forget the name, but it soon went... clubby.

Used to live round the corner, only went in a couple of times. It was dead quiet. Flatmates used to pop in for a pint every now and then. It's been pretty run down for ages, not surprised it's shut down. Nicer pubs around that area have been struggling...

Also, that part of the Hill (Holmewood Gardens etc) has probably changed massively since the pub was put there, the house next to my old flat sold for nearly £800k...

This was part of our First Night in Brixton (ish) pub crawl. We lived right on the corner of Brixton Hill and Streatham. The Crown and Sceptre was a good starting point. Then the Hand in Heart, New Park Road - bottles of Pils for £1. Thern the King of Sardina (?) just off Upper Tulse Hill, and then the Hop Poles. The latter wasn't very welcoming...

Finally finished off at the Irish pub back towards the top of Brixton Hill. Forget the name, but it soon went... clubby.

You mean Hand in Hand.King of Sardinia and probably George IV, run by Des Christie probably 25 years ago before subsequently being taken over by various other Irish landlords ;). Oh, on the other hand, maybe you mean The Telegraph?

My only memories of it was going to play pool there when it was in competition with the local pubs (I was a White Horse regular then). It was a pretty regulars type of bar and working class. Definitely don't remember any yuppies, but I could be wrong :D

Tbf, it does look fairly vile. It would be lovely if some sort of community resource replaces it but where's the profit in that? :(

Tbf, it does look fairly vile. It would be lovely if some sort of community resource replaces it but where's the profit in that? :(

Unlikely. £350,000 flats more likely

and really, as for how vile it is, not really much different to lots of other estate pubs. Just look at The Windmill as an example

IIRC it was a Caribbean-run pub and the landlord was a guy called Alphonse.

A friend of mine lived in a houseshare on Claverdale Road about 18 years ago and it was their local. I only went there once, which was to see the so-called 'Battle of Britain' between Leeds and Rangers (can't remember which football tournament) but remember it as a pleasant and friendly old-skool pub.

RIP another pub with Dralon seats, carpet, a TV screen, a friendly atmosphere and a friendly landlord. All being driven off the planet. :(

An old jamaican guy used to play all original 7 inch ska/reggae vinyl on Sunday afternnons....

I used to hide in their when I had a bust with then partner....

Proper old school estate pub, sure at one point they tried to turn the pool area at the front into a restaurant????????/

Only went in there once. I was going to meet a reggae collector for the first time, who was playing records in there. The bar staff were racially abusive to me and my then partner. I left, and as I did so some kids on the forecourt threw vegetables at us. I wrote the place off as full of cunts and never returned.

Unlikely. £350,000 flats more likely

and really, as for how vile it is, not really much different to lots of other estate pubs. Just look at The Windmill as an example
I'm not sure you could charge £350,000 for flats on the site of that pub if you used gold leaf as wallpaper tbh...

IIRC I watched Palace get relegated there in 2005, the regulars were proper moody, and the beer tasted shite. I never went back.

I lived in Brockham House in the early 80's - moved from Gaywood as part of Lambeths' 'sons and daughters scheme; only went in the hop poles a few times - a real shit hole; once saw sara cox in there - pretty wasted and playing pool in the room that overlooked the car park/upper tulse hill with a 3 or 4 black geezers, flirting with them big time - really had them on a string; she left with them shortly after - party time!

i remember the pub very well i also remember the old one my dad getting crates of beer after closing for parties at home in warnham house. i remember going in the old one while it was being knocked down the whole back walls gone and water in the basement. then the new one being built and it was rather posh in them days nice carpets and modern what a shame it looks now mum used to work in the pub cleaning in the morning then behind the bar sometimes at night or going back after cleaning it at 11o"clock when it opened. dennis and molly had the old and the new one at the beginning. i lived inthe area from about 1957 living at 29 whitley house then moved into 46 warnham house while the flates were still being built around 1960 the lifts were not even working. we moved from the area when i was 19 in 1974 its likes yesterday.

i remember the pub very well i also remember the old one my dad getting crates of beer after closing for parties at home in warnham house. i remember going in the old one while it was being knocked down the whole back walls gone and water in the basement. then the new one being built and it was rather posh in them days nice carpets and modern what a shame it looks now mum used to work in the pub cleaning in the morning then behind the bar sometimes at night or going back after cleaning it at 11o"clock when it opened. dennis and molly had the old and the new one at the beginning. i lived inthe area from about 1957 living at 29 whitley house then moved into 46 warnham house while the flates were still being built around 1960 the lifts were not even working. we moved from the area when i was 19 in 1974 its likes yesterday.

That's really interesting thanks. I had a few friends on the estate and we would drink in the Hop Poles occasionally (late 70's). To be honest it was a shithole, we moved to the Crown & Sceptre and then to the Windmill on Clapham Common (Most of us went to Henry Thornton School).

That's really interesting thanks. I had a few friends on the estate and we would drink in the Hop Poles occasionally (late 70's). To be honest it was a shithole, we moved to the Crown & Sceptre and then to the Windmill on Clapham Common (Most of us went to Henry Thornton School).

I know the school. I went out of area for my secondary school but went to Holmwood school then on to Richard Atkins. My husband and brother went to Tulse Hill boys school,in its time it was amazing, so modern compared to the other schools of the area, apart from Dick Shepard. I never really used the Hop Poles feeling more comfortable in The King of Sardinia, now that was a shit hole a spit and saw dust pub but full of locals and i grew up knowing them. I remember the Hop Poles being used by clicky girls hanging around all the boys. Ah memories, thanks for reminding me.

I loved the hop poles gr8 nites there I am going back about 20ish years used to meet barry and Jason who I aint seen in 20ish years

Hello
I was born in the old Hop Poles 1957 which was number 50 Upper Tulse Hill
and my grandparents carried on with the new one 60 Upper Tulse Hill whilst I moved
on to Beckenham.
Does anybody know of Ticker (Christopher) or David who where my best of friends?
They lived just a couple of houses down. If you do know of them and have there surnames
PLEASE let me know so I might trace them.
Thanks Martin Harrison

Back
Top Bottom