Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Angel pub on Coldharbour Lane becomes arty community space run by Brick Box

editor

hiraethified
brick-box-angel-coldharbour-lane.jpg

I've already mentioned this in the long-serving thread about the pub, but thought it worthy of a new thread.

The Angel pub on 354 Coldharbour Lane is soon to reopen as 'key community space' run by Brixton Village trendy-arty types, The Brick Box.

They've got a six month trial use of the building.
The group’s aims over the following six months are to:
  • Provide a welcoming, inspiring and safe space for people
  • Build an artistic community
  • Offer local people opportunities to curate and host events
  • Experiment with a varied and exciting programme
I'm still saddened to see that the pub has gone forever, but at least we're not getting the expected yuppie flats quite yet.

http://www.urban75.org/blog/angel-pub-on-coldharbour-lane-to-become-arty-community-space/

Very similar thing happening in the "French antiques" building on the Tulse Hill Gyratory - which also used to be a bank apparently. Arty community group types have been doing it up for a few weeks now and have their opening event this Sunday. Always thought it was a lovely looking building and a shame to be a wreck.

http://createslondon.tumblr.com/

Does that mean they aren't going to serve beers? :( Been hoping it would open up as a pub so I can just stumble from the corner back to home. All of my "safe places" include booze

Interesting. Good the building will be used (for a short time anyway). I wonder what sort of events/activities there will be? There's a fair bit of guff on their website ("we work in your imagination....") but fair play to them if they're going to do something interesting which gets local people involved.

Saltoun Supper Club are doing a special dinner event with Brick Box on the 19th May and it says venue tbc so I guess it could be hosted here.

Here's what they're offering:
We are delighted to present the inaugural event at a beautiful new venue. This is a collaboration between The Brick Box and the famous Saltoun Supper Club.

A sensual and sumptuous feast of the most unprecedented kind offering up rare delicacies, exquisite aromas, and bizarre discoveries. An evening of curious and delightful entertainment to quicken the circulation and stimulate the liver.

The entertainment and visual treats for the evening have been hand-picked from a selection of London's finest live art and alternative theatre folk. Our honoured guests will be led by the hand to explore strange and curious worlds, and encounter a myriad of characters and stories along the way.

Visit the Hysteria Treatment Room, lounge with fops and dandies in the Opium Den, take part in a drawing room seance, discover the enchanted garden, do something dark in the cellars, or relax in The Explorer's Animal Menagerie.

There are 2 types of ticket for this event: the dinner + House experience, and the House experience only. All tickets must be bought in advance, as detailed below.

The dinner and House ticket is £40 and includes a delicious 4-course gourmet dinner from Saltoun Supper Club's head chef, a free absinthe cocktail, and entry to The Brick Box House of Curiosity.
Book your ticket here www.eatwithyoureyes.net
https://www.facebook.com/events/374210672615289/

Seems a bit up-market for me. The Crown and Anchor has opened my eyes to the grottiness of the Beehive, which is traumatic in itself. I shall stick with the Fish and Chip shop next door, unless there are rave reviews! (Do you have to work for the BBC or Channel 4 to go there?)
P.S. Good to see the place used though.

As posted on your FB: Good luck to Arno, really nice guy. He had to expand out of his flat at some point!

It's going to hurt me to look out of my window and see this bunch of fucking idiots prancing about in the Angel of all places.

Is it better to keep it closed and discourage enterprise, opportunity and a new space for people to meet? If the super club is the first to see the opportunity there, then good on them!

Saltoun Supper Club has been around for years, good luck to them. It's a bit more than just Supper Club though....

Is it better to keep it closed and discourage enterprise, opportunity and a new space for people to meet?
Christ, you're sounding like Brixton Green. I'm happy to see the place being used again but forgive me if my heart doesn't leap with joy at the prospect of it being occupied by a "Hysteria Treatment Room with lounge with fops and dandies in the Opium Den." For forty quid a head.

Christ, you're sounding like Brixton Green. I'm happy to see the place being used again but forgive me if my heart doesn't leap with joy at the prospect of it being occupied by a "Hysteria Treatment Room with lounge with fops and dandies in the Opium Den." For forty quid a head.

£5/head if you don't want food.

Saltoun Supper Club has been around for years, good luck to them. It's a bit more than just Supper Club though....
You don't think the £40 a head price tag is perhaps not the best way to introduce yourself to the area, given the pub's heritage and the local economy, no?

You don't think the £40 a head price tag is perhaps not the best way to introduce yourself to the area, given the pub's heritage and the local economy, no?

Introduce himself to the area? He's been doing Supper Club for years just down the road... Saltoun Rd.

Introduce himself to the area? He's been doing Supper Club for years just down the road... Saltoun Rd.
Oh come on, get real. Saltoun Road is *nothing* like this stretch of Coldharbour Lane neither does it share the same history or demographics.

Mind you, this will do wonders for 'softening' up the profile of the building for potential flat purchasers.

Oh come on, get real. Saltoun Road is *nothing* like this stretch of Coldharbour Lane neither does it share the same history or demographics.

Well, it is now, with the Market changing and all that... ;)

You're micro dividing Brixton up now? :eek:

It's about 600 yards, isn't it?
Do you want to compare housing prices? If you think the two areas are identical you're living in dream land.

Just to make it clear: Saltoun Supper Club ain't my thing, but I wish them all the best.

I just think putting on a dressy-uppy, hoity-toity £40 bash in a now-closed traditional black Brixton pub in an area surrounded by social housing isn't the greatest idea.

Back
Top Bottom